_ _ W 30, Mobil 1, which is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mobil 1 website is very frustrating, as the data sheets are not consistent. For one oil they show the TBN, for another they do not....and the list goes on.

I just wonder, out of these oils, which is the best?

0w30 Adv Fuel Econ (Green Cap)
5w30 Extended Performance (Gold Cap)
5w30 SUV (Silver Cap)
5w30 Standand M1 (Silver Cap)
5w30 High Mileage (Silver Cap)

What I mean by "best" is.... In the same engine, under the same conditions, which would report the lowest wear values and which would hold up the best in extreme conditions like towing and moutain driving.

If I were a betting man, I would guess that Extended Performance or the SUV are the best of the five.

By the way, I drive two vehicles that can use this oil. A 2007 Toyota Yaris and a 2007 Toyota 4Runner with the V6.

Also, does anyone know what the HT/HS and TBN values are for these oils?

I have two, $10 mail in rebates to burn and since Mobil 1 gives me five choices, I would like to make an informed decision when purchasing.

Thanks,

Last edited:
brian12, you signature is wrong. Prune Juice would have 48x the FM as Mobil 1.
grin2.gif

I'm a long term M1 user. I don't have apples to apples comparisons - since I did UOAs in different vehicles and different lines of M1. But I have more trust in the EP line after it returned a stellar UOA in my mom's '98 Taurus (at one full year - ~10k miles)

You left TDT off the list, which is probably the stoutest oil M1 makes. But only if your application is OK with a 5w40.

I've rather lost track on differences among all the others, but I tend to agree that the EP would be a good choice. I find the 0w30 AFE oil very interesting because it seems to have one of (if not THE) best base oil blends in the M1 line. There's a fill in my wife's PT right now, and I'll probably run a UOA on it to see if there's anything alarming. I don't have a baseline on that engine, but there are other Chrysler 2.4 UOAs on here that I can at least use as a crude reference.

I did a little searching and digging.... Here are some Virgin Oil Analysis.....

VOA of Extended Performance

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1342568&fpart=1

And one for 0w30 Green Cap

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1170867&fpart=1

And one for 5w30 High Mileage

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=985680&fpart=1

A couple of things that stuck out to me... Extended had a TBN over 10. High Mileage had much higher Calcium. And Green Cap had the highest Moly.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
You left TDT off the list, which is probably the stoutest oil M1 makes. But only if your application is OK with a 5w40.

Yeah, staying away from a 40wt. I will say that in the first oil change, after buying the 4Runner, I used Rotella 5w40 during the summer. Wow did the engine run smooth, but it did seem a tad bit doggy and the mileage went down by about 1 mpg over 3k miles.

Last edited:
All of the M1 oils are will produce very clean and long lived engines. Which oil to use depends on your needs. If a longer OCI is your goal, 15,000 miles, then EP may be your best choice. If a shorter OCI, 10,000 miles, is better for you then any of the others will give great results.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
grin2.gif

Is that the secret ingredient in RP?

grin2.gif

Wouldn't prune juice cause problems with the rear end?

I think the yaris would like the m1 green cap. I've been courting it for my Yaris, which appears to like the thinner end of the 30wt for proper vvt-i function. Another option was Edge which starts off thinner still. Time to take the plunge ...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
grin2.gif

Wouldn't prune juice cause problems with the rear end?

Oh man,you guy`s are something!!!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I think the yaris would like the m1 green cap. I've been courting it for my Yaris, which appears to like the thinner end of the 30wt for proper vvt-i function. Another option was Edge which starts off thinner still. Time to take the plunge ...

We have run two OCI's with Green Cap 0w20 in the Yaris and it liked it. But the current fill, 2 quarts of 0w20 and 2 quarts of 0w30, it likes even better.

Anyway, my mind was made up today with a grocery run to WalMart. I swung by the oil aisle and "lookie...lookie....", what did it find, but the Mobil 1, 5 quart bottles on sale from $26 to $22.

I picked up two bottles of Green Cap, 0w30. With the rebate, these will end up costing me $12 a jug, plus the cost of a stamp.

Originally Posted By: RTBandit
Regular Mobil 1 5w-30 is the only one that meets GM 4718, and Honda/Acura HTO-06 specs.

Counting on Mobil 1 to meet specs is kinda sketchy.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn

We have run two OCI's with Green Cap 0w20 in the Yaris and it liked it. But the current fill, 2 quarts of 0w20 and 2 quarts of 0w30, it likes even better.

It seems not only me that observe Toyota Yaris like thicker oil.
For the climate I live in, I will never go to w20 teritory again with this engine.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Originally Posted By: BigJohn

It seems not only me that observe Toyota Yaris like thicker oil.
For the climate I live in, I will never go to w20 teritory again with this engine.

What year? I have an 08 and it like's to walk the fine line between 20w and 30w. Mine ran best on Motul 8100 econergy which is a low end margin 30wt - but a "real" synthetic. It would explode with my driving style on a 5w-20 conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back