99 VW Golf MK4 2.0L 8V - Running Too Rich/No Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry what are you talking about wrong plugs?
confused.gif
The plugs that were taken out of it are NGK BKR6EGP G-Power Platinums. The link you provided to the ECS tuning page doesn't give any information that the wrong plugs were used ...unless you're going by the picture they provided (which I seriously hope you're not
frown.gif
) . The second link to the pdf by NGK talks about the fact that VW made several variations of its 2.0L 8v engine. Although they pretty much look the same on the outside they do use different parts a lot of the time (I know I own two other MK4's with different 2.0 variations). To avoid getting it wrong each engine has a 3-digit code to tell the owner which he or she has (In my first post I stated I have the AEG engine). So unless NGK, and my autoparts guy got it wrong I should be using NGK BKR6EGP's.

NGK Catalogue
otg0n6.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

The throttle body may also need to be re-adapted too after the battery being disconnected.

A scan with VCDS will tell you for sure.

you could be right about this. I'm in the process of getting a hold of a dongle and VCDS.

That is the plug designed specifically for the AEG which is why you don't see any other plugs on ECS for AEG. Those are the OEM plugs, they are the correct plugs. The engine does not like platinum or iridium plugs. They were never meant to use them. The ones you have in now are not correct.

I worked on more AEG's then I care to admit. Trust me those are not the proper plugs.

It's akin to just because they make a platinum plug for any car model doesn't mean you should use it especially if the ignition was designed around copper. I also don't trust most of any parts store employees, you got to do the research yourself.

BTW if you use NGK's own site it pulls up the exact plug I pictured above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back