99 Volvo S70 T5 GC 0W-30 LC / FP 5348 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEV

Here’s the skinny: 99 Volvo S70 T5 (high pressure turbo). Ran GC 0W-30 from 65261-70609 miles (5348 miles on oil). Used 6 ounces of Lube Control on initial fill and 2 ounces each 1000 miles thereafter. Added ¾ quart make up oil after 1000 mile trip. Used Fuel Power at nearly every fill up. Air filter was a K&N. Oil filter was a Mann. First number is current GC analysis. Second number is previous analyses with Amsoil ATM 10W-30 and same Lube Control/Fuel Power strategy. I performed an Auto RX cleaning in between these two tests. Both analyses were conducted by Schaeffers.

Cu 4 5
Fe 11 7
Cr 0 0
Al 1 2
Pb 1 0
Mo 11 20
P 784 991
Zn 873 1094
Mn 112 677
Ca 2555 2021
Antifreeze 0 0
Fuel N N
H20 0 0
Si 1 1
Vis 10.9 12.51
S 6 27
Oxi 6 0
Nit 15 22

Take note of the Si. This was achieved with a K&N filter. I think the numbers stack up quite nicely and show what a value this GC is when you can get it for $4. The motor did eat about ¾ of a quart of oil, something that it never does with Amsoil, but it’s probably not a problem. Fe is a touch higher, but GC contains a few PPMs of Fe. At these wear rates, I’m going to have a hard time wearing this motor out!

Good numbers. Also remember that there was a touch of iron in the early batches of GC. In addition, there is often consumption when you change the brand of oil that you are using. You should be able to tell what it is really capable of doing by the third oil change.

Hi Ken. I've run the #703 10W-30 in this before and it didn't fair well. The turbo just beat the snot out of it. Being more robust, I'm sure the 700 would do better.

Regarding the oil consumption, the same thing happened when I first started to use Amsoil ATM. It had completely stabilized by the third oil change.

As far as extending the interval, I'll probably do this once I'm done playing around!
wink.gif

Very nice! I do have a hard time believing the silicon number though, considering that virgin GC has more than 1ppm of silicon in it. IIRC it's more like 7-9ppm.

HEV,
Great numbers. Next summer I'd like to see an analysis of your engine running Schaeffer #700 15W-40. I know, not listed in your owner's manual, but higher viscosities are used elsewhere in the world where the U.S. EPA isn't hammering car makers for the last 1% of mpg.

Any change of oil could cause temporary oil consumption due to the different chemistries. It should go away within one to three oil drain intervals.

Why not run your oil more miles as long as you keep getting these great analyses? Any of these oils are likely good for 10k.

Ken

Did the LC thin out the GC?
It's viscosity looks more along the lines of a M1 30w oil as opposed to the thicker 30w GC we usually see.

Viscosity is wrong for CG 0W-30. Are you sure the bottle said "Made in Germany"? It sure looks like plain Castrol Syntec 0W-30 instead. Calcium is too low, too.

VVK. Yes, this is the Green Gummy Bear Made in Deutschland stuff.

Patman. I've done 5 analyses of this motor and have never had a Si concentration higher than 2. Oil Analyzers analyzed three samples and Schaeffers has performed 2. I’m puzzed like you with respect to the Si number. It’s always been this low with Amsoil too.

Alan. It does look like the GC sheered. I've never had this happen to the Amsoil ATM. It usually thickens, even with the same LC regimen.

Spector. I agree with your assessment. However, the differences are probably not significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back