99 Nissan Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts/opinions or 1st hand experience with this model? Lookin at buying one with 77K, 5 speed. I know they're pretty powerful, especially with the 5 speed. How reliable are they? My Corolla's got to go. TOO SLOW
lol.gif

My Ex GF had one, and overall it was pretty reliable engine wise. She had problems with the electrical system, and the paint was pretty cruddy for what's supposed to be a luxury car, but other than that it was ok. Not worth the price, though. We traded it in on a Marauder, which cost about the same as her Max did new three years earlier but it was about 30x the car that Nissuck was.

drew,
there's alot of information at the various online discussion boards. i also belong to maxima.org and own a 5.5 generation model. it's true the 99's have had issues with the paint chipping on the front hood. take a lot do your research and balance the faults vrs pluses of any model/year/budget. it is great fun to drive especially w/the stick, you'll suffer a bit in mpg. if your into modding - many aftermarket parts to order also.

Corolla too slow? How about today's fuel costs? On the highway the Corolla will get 38-40mpg, Maxima will get 26-28mpg and might call for premium.

While the Corolla might be a boring car it is easier to live with. Natually, it is your choice. That Maxima engine is great, but as with many cars you'll have a new set of idiosyncrasies to learn about. How many the miles on your Corolla?

quote:

Originally posted by BearZDefect:
Corolla too slow? How about today's fuel costs? On the highway the Corolla will get 38-40mpg, Maxima will get 26-28mpg and might call for premium.

While the Corolla might be a boring car it is easier to live with. Natually, it is your choice. That Maxima engine is great, but as with many cars you'll have a new set of idiosyncrasies to learn about. How many the miles on your Corolla?

Excellent points Bear. And I do drive around 100 miles per day a few days a week to get to school, so gas prices should be my main concern. Corolla has 109K and runs great but darn, feels like I'm draggin an anchor trying to merge
lol.gif
Think I'm just gonna hold out and try and get a Nissan Sentra SE or 200 SX SE-R with the 2.0L SR20DE. Those cars have really good performance and will be better on gas than the Max. But clean ones worth buying are few and far between.

Get yourself a 2004 or 2005 Jetta or Passat TDI. Throw in a rocketchip Stage II+ chip and have fun while getting 48 mpg in the Jetta and 40 mpg in the Pasat (highway).

With high mileage driving your Corolla should last well over 200k miles. Buying and operating a newer car will cost you many $$ no matter what mpg it gets. Just curious, is your Corolla a manual or auto trans? Does it seem slower than usual or dragging an anchor is just the usual feeling? (I know that feeling.)

I have a 2002 (same body just different engine) and love it. Great power, quiet on the highway, and loads of luxury you don't get in a similar Camry, Honda or Taurus. My car has been very reliable. With the exception of a recall and a few TSBs, mine has never seen the inside of mechanics bay. 47k miles to date.

High end V-6 Altima has the 265 HP version in it, may not be whole lot more money new compared to used low K Maxima. Even the QR25DE four cylinder version in Altima at 175 HP is no slouch, I got 40 mpg Canadian gallon (prairie flat highway, Canadian gallon 20% bigger) on 03 Altima and now in a 165hp QR25DE version in an Xtrail 33 mpg but not broken in yet, this 4 banger QR25DE engine feels more like a V-6 and holds its own against competitors V-6s in HP ratings, if your not hauling trailer they are worth a test drive to see for oneself. Optional suggestion if gas economy or vehicle costs are issue.

Cyprs

I had a '97 maxima SE 5 spd. It was a great car - I bought it new and sold it with 87K. I used it to tow motorcycle trailers to races every weekend.

That was probably the best car I have had. While I had it I had to have an O2 sensor replaced under warranty, and I had to replace the starter out of pocket at around 60K.

My wife has an '00 Maxima SE Auto that is also great. It does not feel as sporty as the 97-99 style, and with the auto it does not feel as fast even though it has more HP. Her car has 79K on it now. Since new it has needed one set of O2 sensors, and I had to repack the grease in the starter because it was making noise. That is all we've had to do.

I would recommend www.maxima.org - I am also a member there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back