'99 Nissan Maxima Auto 9,649 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
car has 73k miles. Dealer drain/fill (not flush) at 63k. No other tranny service. iron seems high.....

code:

this

sample

ALUMINUM 20

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 123

COPPER 29

LEAD 3

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 1

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 8

BORON 42

SILICON 9

SODIUM 5

CALCIUM 17

MAGNESIUM 0

PHOSPHORUS 193

ZINC 4

BARIUM 11

SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF FLASHPOINT IN ºF

42-51 >335

43.1 300

WATER INSOLUBLES

0.0 0.0

Iron is definitly too high. All else looks great. I would do another change quickly and monitor after another 10,000 miles. If you get half the fluid at drain your current mix has 63 ppm of iron. That is still high for a just changed fluid.

Magnet in pan might be fully coated(insulated) and needs cleaning. I wouldn't bother with a flush.

What I would do:
drop & clean the pan and magnets,
replace the filter, and top off

Then, practice a more frequent drain/refill regimen. Use a synthetic ATF or add some lubegard red to the non-synth OEM fluid.

I was thinking about dropping the pan, that's good advice, but why not bother with a flush? wouldn't all that iron still be in the fluid if I don't flush it all out? I may do it anyway just for peace of mind.

sky jumper, I agree. If you are going to go to all the trouble of dropping the pan and clean the magnet, I'd go the extra step and open the return tranny line from the radiator to pump out all the tranny fluid from the system. That's how I do it on my '01 Max. I doubt your '99 would be any different.

The most difficult part is taking off the plastic shield under the radiator to get at the return ATF lines to the tranny. Honest.
wink.gif

Drop pan and add top-off fluid every 5k until you get the iron particles flushed out.

And then sample every 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back