99 Mustang GT crankshaft woodruff key removal pita

Engine in car. Bought car used, replacing underdrive pulleys with stock. Harmonic balancer wouldn't go on all the way, so I removed and tried to take the crank key out (to replace). I tried everything and had a heck of a time to move it up. The problem is that it partly goes thru the crank trigger wheel, which is on the inside of the timing cover. The square notch in the crank trigger wheel is preventing it from being driven totally up out of the keyway. The front end of the key didn't pivot up. The whole thing just moved up. If you'd see a new mustang crank key, it has a tab on each end. So,bit doesn't pivot like a true half moon type key. It is stuck. Just wondering if I can heat it up cherry red and pull with vice grips. That's about the only thing I haven't tried yet. Would heat damage anything? I removed the front oil seal. The crank trigger wheel is metal. Would heating up the key damage the crank???? I don't think there are any plastic parts attached behind the timing cover. Removing the timing cover is a last resort. Too much involved and don't want to risk an oil leak that I don't have now. Any ideas/ advice? Thanks

Back