'99 BMW 540i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next door neighbour has a '99 BMW 540i, which I reckon has about 284,000 km (177,500 miles) on the clock. It's a German gray import and he's never changed his ATF, based on the manual's referral to 'lifetime fill'. There isn't an English publication, and he speaks/reads German, so that was handy. The torque converter went out last month, and when he had it replaced, the mechanic put back his old ATF as opposed to fresh ATF.

Having a word with him today, he was asking if he could slowly replace his ATF...as in a litre every oil change. I wasn't too sure, but we decided we would replace a litre.

Went out to get some ATF, and I was told this transmission requires a 'special fluid', which nobody had. Finally, we found what they were referring to Liqui Moly ATF III. At $9.45 a litre, it was ridiculously priced but I was told it's "synthetic"...only to find out it's mineral when I check it online. Stupid thing is, there's nothing special about it at all...it's just Dexron III/Mercon. Anyhow, we replaced a litre and the transmission shifts as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Now the silly thing is, there is nothing mentioned in the manual about ATF, other than "lifetime fill". I reckon this vehicle requires an ATF meeting ZF spec?
54.gif

Secondly, considering the transmission's running much smoother after replacing just a litre, would it be a good idea to stick to his plan and replace a litre at every oil change...or perhaps perform a cooler line flush and change it all? The old ATF looked really dark red, somewhat brown...but colour doesn't really mean much. Thanks!

My mother in law has a '95 525i, but the US version, not Euro spec. When i did a pan drop, filter and fluid i used Dex VI with no issues. It was normally spec'd for Dex III, but used the newer Dex VI

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
The torque converter went out last month, and when he had it replaced, the mechanic put back his old ATF as opposed to fresh ATF.

"Lifetime" refers to the lifetime of the transmission, not the life of the owner!

Replacing it is a good idea.

If I were you, I would go back to the original fluid -- which the dealership SHOULD have on hand in case they have to replace a defective transmission or something. There probably are alternatives but I don't think there is any good way to figure out what they are (although I could be wrong).

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

"Lifetime" refers to the lifetime of the transmission, not the life of the owner!

Yup. I think BMW eventually confessed and suggested that "lifetime" means that the fluid should be changed every 100k miles.

Quote:

If I were you, I would go back to the original fluid -- which the dealership SHOULD have on hand in case they have to replace a defective transmission or something. There probably are alternatives but I don't think there is any good way to figure out what they are (although I could be wrong).

+1

By the way, the OEM fluid is made by Esso.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10993335&postcount=62

I've serviced a 2002 540iA automatic before, but have an E39 with a manual myself. The smallest quantity which is practical to replace is probably the pan capacity. If the ATF has never been changed you want to change the filter which involves a pan drop anyways. You'll probably end up replace 3-4L with just a pan drop.

The fluid "required" is Esso LT71141, which plenty of other fluids meet the specs of. My research has led me to believe that genuine LT71141 is a semi-syn base fluid with particular friction modifier properties which are anti-shudder. The base oil is nothing special, and as long as the replacement is compatible with the FM characteristics you're good to go.

Of note Valvoline Maxlife ATF lists LT71141 on the back, and is a great value at places like Walmart. Amsoil ATF also list LT71141 and we used that in my dad's car. It's transmission has acted weird since day one on dealer fluid, and he had the fluid changed regularly at the dealer. Once out of extended warranty we flushed and filled with Amsoil and it's been better than ever - working properly for the first time ever.

You must be careful to observe proper level checking practice.

Take a look at this

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
A mechanic actually replaced a converter and replaced the used fluid with 275,000 miles on it??

The factory service instructions tell techs to gather fluid and put it back in after service. Crazy, I know.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
A mechanic actually replaced a converter and replaced the used fluid with 275,000 miles on it??

The factory service instructions tell techs to gather fluid and put it back in after service. Crazy, I know.

i hope the drop pan they use is super clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back