99 Avalon vs 98 Olds 88 LSS

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was asking 2850 on the phone and I said would you do 2200.He said no but he said he would take 2500.
The car is in Compton> FBI's annual report of crime statistics "Crime in the United States 2010," ranked Compton as the 8th most dangerous city in the country.[34]

He started asking if I had the money (don't see him as a threat)and when I said no he said where is it? I asked him if he had the smog, he said I didn't need i, it was OK. Then he said it was done 45 days ago,the DMV just had to "pull it from the computer" It was not done since early 2013, I had checked. He also said it was a 1 owner...4

Last edited:
I could not see btw...
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Could you see between the intake and the heads in the LSS? if the gasket has been done it will most likely be aluminum and you can actually see the sides of it. It is plastic it will still be black. Check around the valve covers to make sure they are not leaking.

Yellow mean it is was most likely changed. How much are they asking?

Sounds like you've learned all you need to know about *that* Oldsmobile. Find yourself a good Oldsmobile or something else, but don't go anywhere near that one!
15.gif

Not much difference. They are more fun to drive. I have had both, maintenance is the same. You really have an extra belt, tensioner and idler pulley. The supercharger has oil in the snout. The rest is same. Transmission is a bit beefier.
What year? How many miles?

Thanks. It's a 99, one year newer than the olds but with 25k more miles, 125000 miles. 4 new 95% Michelin tires.
(If I buy it it will have 129,000 in one year)
Perfect paint and a sunroof.
We shook hands at $2400 to close after smog Mon.

I just got the info to carfax it and what he says makes sense. It was his motherl in laws and now his. He is 50ish
All service records show from the dealer every 3k.
One accident in 06 but not a salvage title.

Neat green color

Last edited:
Funny how some people think they can dominate you!
Originally Posted By: UncleS2
Sounds like you've learned all you need to know about *that* Oldsmobile. Find yourself a good Oldsmobile or something else, but don't go anywhere near that one!
15.gif

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Thanks. It's a 99, one year newer than the olds but with 25k more miles, 125000 miles. 4 new 95% Michelin tires.

I just got the info to carfax it and what he says makes sense. It was his motherl in laws and now his. He is 50ish

Neat green color

Nice job on a car that's likely less than 1/2 way through its useful life!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks.
I just counted. I car faxed 45 cars! (and I bet more than 1/2 had odometer issues)

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Originally Posted By: clarkflower

Neat green color

Nice job on a car that's likely less than 1/2 way through its useful life!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like you got a decent car. Buying a used car particularly older higher mileage cars can be a minefield. Lots of bad mistreated cars out there and lots of thieves and liars trying to sell complete junk to inexperienced used car buyers.

Last edited:
I know...I was seeing cars that showed 92,012 that carfax showed being over 270,000! And lots of them

That supercharged Olds needs premium unleaded. This engine isn't detuned at all to run on regular unleaded. GM sandbagged the power figures, and the 240 hp/280 ft/lbs it's rated at are often seen at the wheels. Knock is that engine's Enemy Number One, and since it's meant to run on 91+ octane, if it senses that there's 87 in the tank it will be an absolute dog to protect itself.

I hope I've convinced you to run premium in your new supercharged Olds!

I'm always glad to see an Oldsmobile find a good home. They truly were a bargain when new -- GM's "midrange" car, more luxurious than Chevies or Pontiacs, but with fewer gadgets than on Buicks and Cadillacs. One like this is even more so. You'll enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back