98 VW Jetta questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My battery has been disconnected for about a year now is there a relearn process that needs to be done? And if I turn my key on and off is the aux water pump suppose to kick on and stay running? I only waited about 5 min to see if it was going to shut off then disconnected the battery.

aux water pump? Is this a turbo?

Yeah you're going to need a relearn, but it should at least run tolerably in default. Probably with a high idle for a bit.

I'm assuming it's a 12v VR6 since you mention Aux pump.

My corrado sat for a year - when I connected the battery I let it idle for about 10 mins and then drove it. I started soft so it could warm up and then drove it hard so the ECU can learn my driving style.

You should be solid man, connect and go. Throttle body adaptation is something the MKIV needs but not an MKIII.

no turbo the aux water pump circulates water through the head to cool it down after its shut off There is a way to reteach the ecu

It isn't the 12v coolant fan? When the sensor dies, it stays on.

Maybe that pump is the same way.

Driving it with a number of starts/shut offs is best.
Your aux WP may be OK, but there may be a stuck relay.
Drive it for a while and see if things smooth out and the WP behaves .
Like noted, with a turbo, staying on after you shut it off can be normal.

The water pump runs for ~10 minutes once the ignition has been turned on. Temperature is not a factor in operation of the secondary water pump. If you turned on the ignition and the pump started running and stayed running, this is perfectly normal.

Backyard....

I have a similar car 96 Golf 2L..with OBD II....

For the throttle body to relearn you don't need the VW scan tool or VAG-COM, all you need to do is:

Car should be completely COLD!

1)Disconnect the battery once again. Turn the key to start. This will allow all the remaining capitance to drain from the ECU and modules. You can touch both battery connectors together to do the same. (THEY BOTH MUST BE OFF THE BATT POSTS THOUGH!)

2)Reconnect the battery.

3)Turn key to accessories position (do not start)

4) Let key in acc for about one minute (you will hear a slight buzzing and electronic sound, this the TB finding its correct parameters.

5) Start car (do not touch accelerator!) let idle for about 1 minute.

6) Drive car as you normally would for at least 15 minutes.

Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back