98 V70-Yeah, I know I said some things about them...

but sometimes when ya see a gem, ya just gonna go for it
wink.gif

As some of you may recall, i am taking on a new project with the BMW of doing a full body restoration.
To get to and from the rental workspace, I'll need something that can haul tools etc. as the Lexus isn't good at hauling tools
After viewing several filthy and overpriced Ford Rangers, I decided to shift my thinking and consider a wagon (heck, that's what they use in Europe after all!).

249kms (156k miles)
For a fraction of the price and a little elbow grease, I decided on this charming little machine.
Working a/c as well as full maint. records from new(and it passed the PCV "glove test")!
Heated seats still work too!
Really needs a set of tires and there's some noise in the suspension (easily addressed from info on the web).
Trans fluid still looks decent and shifts firm, yet soft. Engine is the NA inline 5.
Few electrical issues, but nothing that a little time investigating on the internet can't remedy
thumbsup2.gif

onto the pics....
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cheers!

Now that's a beautiful wagon! Looks very clean all around. That leather is pristine, too! I grew up with a family '97 850 sedan, and I've always liked these ever since. How many km/miles on it? Looks like it's held up very well to rust.

Love it!

I would change all the fluids, and then, the entire PCV (Flame Trap) system. The white block engine will run forever, but the PCV system plugs up routinely, causing oil leaks and seal failures.

Very nice wagon. Have three V70Rs in the family, so we know they can handle carrying tools and equipment conveniently (and go fast when empty). Fold that seat down, now you (sort of) have a truck. No sunroof might be a deal killer for me, but for what you're doing I approve!

Originally Posted by Astro14
Love it!

Great find! Exact same car as my sister drives.

I would change all the fluids, and then, the entire PCV (Flame Trap) system. The white block engine will run forever, but the PCV system plugs up routinely, causing oil leaks and seal failures.

Agree with Astro14. Change all fluids and baseline the PCV system. Use a full synthetic oil. It will mitigate the PCV issues.

We're having our house painted. Our painter has exactly the same car (and color). The rear seat is down with all his gear inside. His ladders are on top. He's got 308,000 miles on it.

Enjoy!

I miss my 850 wagon that I kept for 19 years. I first got it w/ 45k and after those years made it to 368k and gave it my wife's nephews to drive to school.

A few years later, I finally got a 98 T5 w/ manual trans fun car. They are really nice cars just keep an eye on the radiator they only last 5-6 years.

You can't kill those things. My uncle used to have a black V70 (probably similar year) that he towed a boat with.
lol.gif
Thing was a tank.

Great car, my Dad had an '01 V70 T5 with the stick...I loved leaving many in the dust in what was basically a stock sleeper.

Had a ‘96 850 wagon many years ago - left me stranded several times, always electrical problems. Least reliable car I've owned.

Worst/final straw problem was, the left turn signal would occasionally (every couple weeks...) turn itself on when the car was unattended (usually overnight). Not blinking, just lit up solid, until the battery died. Replaced turn signal switch, flasher relay, both bulb sockets, never solved it, ended up removing the fuse and driving without signals! And that's on top of fuel pump relay intermittent failure causing stalling in traffic, starter motor failure, wiper motor and wiring failure, blower motor & speed control failure, radiator fan wiring/relay failure causing overheating, etc.

It was one of the most comfortable cars I've ever had however, and even being automatic, non-turbo was enjoyable to drive. I sold it to a friend for a couple hundred bucks and he drove it all winter with no heat, until the engine locked up for unknown reason. Only car I've owned that I ended up discovering again later in the junkyard!

I had a ‘94 850 wagon that I used to drive from Stowe, VT to NYC. That was my airline commute at the time, 350 miles each way.

The car was comfortable, handled well, got good gas mileage, had the winter package (heated seats, headlight washers) which I used all the time. I drove it in blizzards and summer heat and it was 100% reliable.

Had zero problems with it. I bought from a buddy who was meticulous in its care, it had 140,000 when I got it. I put 50,000 miles on it.

Truly great car.

Totaled by an accident before I had even owned it a year. But at 190,000 miles, everything worked. Everything. The paint and interior were still in perfect shape.

I love wagons. Good fuel economy, car handling and ride, lots of room for cargo. Most SUVs are wagons, with needless complications, clumsy handling, degraded ride, and worse gas mileage...

Originally Posted by cjolson140
Had a ‘96 850 wagon many years ago - left me stranded several times, always electrical problems. Least reliable car I've owned.

Worst/final straw problem was, the left turn signal would occasionally (every couple weeks...) turn itself on when the car was unattended (usually overnight). Not blinking, just lit up solid, until the battery died. Replaced turn signal switch, flasher relay, both bulb sockets, never solved it, ended up removing the fuse and driving without signals! And that's on top of fuel pump relay intermittent failure causing stalling in traffic, starter motor failure, wiper motor and wiring failure, blower motor & speed control failure, radiator fan wiring/relay failure causing overheating, etc.

It was one of the most comfortable cars I've ever had however, and even being automatic, non-turbo was enjoyable to drive. I sold it to a friend for a couple hundred bucks and he drove it all winter with no heat, until the engine locked up for unknown reason. Only car I've owned that I ended up discovering again later in the junkyard!

As much as I wanted to love this car, I just couldn't get past the cost and scarcity of parts in Canada.
I gave the seller a small deposit to hold the car and after starting this thread, decided to investigate the door lock issue for the front passenger side.

Turns out I'd needs a new lock actuator. That's fine, I replaced one on my 07 Focus for 150CAD including shipping from RA. RA does not list this part for the V70, so it's a dealer only item.
After a small search on the internet, the only replacement actuator I could find was roughly 450CAD, plus the time to install it.
eek.gif

Then there's the worn out tires, suspension clunks (probably needs full rebuild, engine mounts too), interior fan switch issue (doesn't switch on), speedo not working....

The straw that broke the camel's back was the rear main seal leak.....after adding all the things to get this thing functional (forget fancy stuff like cosmetic items), I'd be in over my head...and I already have a "project car".
crazy.gif

Back to CL for me!

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
To get to and from the rental workspace, I'll need something that can haul tools etc.

Based on this criteria alone I'd recommend checking a first generation (97-01) Honda CR-V. Manual with AWD is fun. Surprisingly good in snow and mud, and hauls a good bit inside. If it has OEM roof rails, then a roof basket from Amazon (I got one for $75 there) will increase your utility even more. It's definitely more of an econobox, unlike the plush volvo, but this thing is cheap to get, cheap to own, cheap to fix, parts are plentiful (at least in Southeast US) and there are not many things in this world that can compare to winding out a b-series Honda engine. Reliable fun without breaking the bank (or the speed limit), and good bit of comfort and utility. Just my couple pennies...

Originally Posted by Vladiator
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
To get to and from the rental workspace, I'll need something that can haul tools etc.

Based on this criteria alone I'd recommend checking a first generation (97-01) Honda CR-V. Manual with AWD is fun. Surprisingly good in snow and mud, and hauls a good bit inside. If it has OEM roof rails, then a roof basket from Amazon (I got one for $75 there) will increase your utility even more. It's definitely more of an econobox, unlike the plush volvo, but this thing is cheap to get, cheap to own, cheap to fix, parts are plentiful (at least in Southeast US) and there are not many things in this world that can compare to winding out a b-series Honda engine. Reliable fun without breaking the bank (or the speed limit), and good bit of comfort and utility. Just my couple pennies...

So, since he already bought the Volvo...

Let me say that the CRV is a reliable old...dog. Makes every merge exciting... every uphill, too... I think he did well with his Volvo...

Back