98 Olds Bravada - questions, some are just GM Qs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anticipating a move northward into snow country soon, my fiance bought a Bravada yesterday to use during the winter. Got it for a real good price from a local family we know so it was a spur-of-the-moment decision.

Bear with me as we have no manual!

Some questions...some are model-specific, some GM questions...

1) Is there a site I can read more about the SmartTrak system? It is obviously AWD because I see a transfer case, but we have no snow around here and have not found a good mud puddle yet to test it out. How does it compare to other AWD systems? She had one in her 01 Eddie Bauer Explorer that she liked, and my friend's Subaru WRX has an incredible AWD system.

2) Any link to the basic parts specs? She has the vehicle today to try out so I do not have it to look at. I plan to replace the headlight bulbs, wiper blades, fuel filter, plugs and wires, at the very least. So I don't even know the simplest thing such as wiper blade length! And the shop I give my business to is a "good ol' boy" type place not likely to have every single cross-reference manual I need. Will hit AZ if I have to but would prefer to give business to them.

3) Any opinions on the 4.3L Vortec in this vehicle? Horror stories, common issues, etc? It looks different than the one that was in my 94 S10 Blazer, I believe my airbox was on the other side (Bravada is on the right), and there were drastic cosmetic differences as well.

Any other comments welcome, thanks!

The most common issues that I know of are intake gasket leaks and front suspension problems(ball joints and idler arms). Make sure you have the fluid changed in the transfer case, it takes a special fluid that i believe is only found at GM dealers. The service may be somewhat expensive, but much cheaper than a new transfer case.

Fuel Pumps (Gas Guage Problem) and front wheel bearings/hub and the others mentioned above especially the intake manifold gasket. (I have had to change them on both of my 2000 model blazers/Jimmy there is a new aluminum style gasket from gm available). Otherwise excellent vehicles one of mine has 167,000 mi and the other 113,000 both have originasl motor and trans. (knock on wood.)

Have fun changing the plugs!!! Gotta get the front tires off to reach them but no biggy really, just a PITA.

My parents used to have Bravadas; they kicked pretty good #@$%! in the snow. It has a viscous coupling center differential and an eaton locker in the rear diff, so it can essentially send like 70% of the engines power to either rear wheel when needed. It's better in snow with good tires than say, my Dads 98 Blazer which doesn't have the full time 4wd system with center differential. The only sucky thing about the Bravada is no low range for the T-case.

WATCH FOR INTAKE GASKET LEAKS!!!!

Last edited:
My brother's 97 Blazer (that has been in the family since new) eats serpentine belts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. No one has any idea why either - tensioner and a bunch of the belt-driven accessories were replaced while it was still under warranty. Thankfully there is a local shop we take it to that keeps replacing the belt under the part's warranty, so it hasn't cost money in a little while. Every other oil change we just get the belt changed too.

Other than that, all sorts of little issues - fuel pump, intake gasket leak, the front suspension has basically been completely rebuilt 3 or 4 times now, wiper motors, wiper switch, rear wiper motor, a few electrical components involving the transfer case, a few other little electrical gremlins that escape me at the moment...

Anyways, the fundamentals on the truck are solid - the motor is strong, the tranny is solid. My dad wants it gone by spring time though, the little stuff is starting to add up, not to mention the gas mileage in the low teens around town. I hope you have good luck with yours - if you keep up with the little stuff and keep that diff and trans serviced you should be in good shape!

I have a '96 S-10 Blazer that has this AWD system. Mine came from an auction and it was probably beaten on pretty hard before I got it. Its got about 83K miles on it right now.

The only problem/issue I have had with the AWD system relates to the front driveshaft. It has to lengthen and shorten in normal operation, and mine just does not seem to want to do that, so the U joints get eaten up instead.

I've taken it off a couple of times for rebuild (PITA, BTW) but no one seems to be able to rebuild it where it works right. The other gripe I have is that mine seems to feel "bound up" when you are doing tight cornering at low speeds.

The 4.3 V6 has been problem free, but plugs are hard to change as someone else noted. The gas gauge is not very linear. Seems like I replaced the starter motor, and maybe a few other little things.

If fuel mileage is a big deal to you, be advised these things are fuel hogs from the drag of all that AWD gear.

Thanks to global warming, I've never got to drive it in snow, but it gets me to the fishing spot OK!

Quote:

I never knew you could get a Blazer with full time AWD like the Bravada.

Until I got this one, I didn't either. They apparently were not made in very large numbers and the one I have is the only one I have ever seen.

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

So far we've replaced the ball joints, Pitman arm, rear wiper motor, and all the little things like bulbs and wiper blades.

No other issues are apparent at this time.

The remote transmitter doesn't seem to be working either, got a new battery for it and still nothing. Oh well...that may be a dealer item if my better half insists. Not too important to me.

It passed inspection but still needs some minor work. All in all we seem to have a steal for our money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back