98 honda civic check engine light on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, my car threw a code yesterday and my scanner read it as P0135 ( heater circuit of the 02 sensor)! is it a must that i get this checked out right away, or can i just keep rolling..?

That is correct. Until the element is hot (either from the heater, or the engine itself), you're likely running in open-loop mode (i.e. squirt as much gas in the cylinder as possible until the ECU knows the engine is safe).

That O2 sensor will not read right unless it is hot. The heater inside helps with a quicker readings. After you drive a while it is not necessary, but it will still throw a code.
In Louisiana Summertime, you have time on your side to leisurely get another one.
Afterwards, clear the codes.

Last edited:
The last O2 sensor I replaced in a Civic for a blown heater (seems to be a common problem), I used a Walker from oxygensensors.com which cost $60 and it worked fine.

just checked my mpg's with the 02 sensor out, and i prob got 6-7 mpg less than i did before it went out

Cost for a Honda sensor is about $200. Aftermarket, particularly if you do it yourself is less than half that.

Originally Posted By: kenwin30
i read where some guy said it might decrease my mpg's and thats about it

The excess fuel in the exhaust could shorten the life of the catalytic converter.

I bought a new Denso sensor online for our 1998 Civic EX and it was approx $75 and it was the exact sensor.... NOT a universal O2 sensor that just happened to fit. The car still gets 40+ MPG after 250K miles.

BTW, make sure you check the exhaust manifold for cracks cause this is a well known problem on the 1996-2000 Civic.

Good advice here so far, buy a name brand O2 sensor for plug and play easiness.

Heater elements going out on Honda 02 sensors is a common problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back