98 Grand Prix starting to use oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I just changed the oil about 1,000 miles ago and checked it the other day and I had to add 17 ounces. Car has 93,200 miles on it and I've been using 10W-30 Mobil 1 since 39,000 miles. I've never had to add this much oil, this soon.

I recently did a flush and maintenence dose with Lube Control. Could this have caused a problem?

Should I start thinking about using another brand of oil?

Wayne

C-4 will do the trick.

lol.gif

I'd bump up a weight and see if it still burns a 40wt.

My '97 Grand Prix has 245,000 miles on it and it uses about half a quart between changes of 5000 miles. I've used Havoline 10w30 in it since the first change. I never do flushes or anything extra. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" has always worked for me. Car still runs good and gets 25mpg. Has been a really good car with minimum of problems. Did an oil analysis last month and it came back showing nothing unusual.

[ July 10, 2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: wlkjr ]

Wayne-
GM cars included bad valve guide seals as a no-charge option.
A quart every 2000 miles isn't great, but the new car dealer wouldn't even talk to you. Rule of thumb is that a quart every 800 miles is acceptable.

$4 per 2000 miles for oil is a lot cheaper than mechanical work.

You can try changing brands, viscosities, etc.
Personally, I probably wouldn't.

My '97 GTP is doing the same thing. It never used oil until 100kmi. Now it's using 1/2 qt every 5000 mi. I also use M1 10W-30 and don't want to switch. (I went a little hog wild at Wallyworld with the 5 qt jug sale).

If it get's any worse I'll "spike it" with one qt 20W-50 at each oil change.

I don't think 1/2 qt per 5000 mi is very bad. Some GM engines are much worse.

[ July 10, 2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: davefr ]

Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just stick with the 10W-30 Mobil 1 and maybe add a court of the 15W-50. I will also probably try Auto-RX in it to see if it helps.

I don't think the valve seals are bad since the car doesn't smoke on startup. The car still has tons of power but just has started using about twice the amount of oil it was using before.

Wayne

quote:

Originally posted by wtd:
Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just stick with the 10W-30 Mobil 1
Wayne

Just curious...what was your oil change interval?

Yannis,
My oil change intervals have been different over the years. At first I did the every 3,000 mile oil change using conventional oil. When I switched to synthetic, I started using the oil life moniter on the car and my oil change intervals were between 6,200-7,400 miles. When I started doing oil analysis on the car, I went to 5,000 mile changes and thats what I'm currently doing.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back