98 GMC sierra 5.7 RL 5w30 6000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil was in use for 9 months, from november to july. I had a bad airbox leak at the beginning of the OCI.

KN fipk air filtration
amsoil oil filter
LC used at 2ozs per quart initial dose and 3oz every k after that.
FP used for entire OCI.

alum 3
chrome 1
iron 35
copper 6
lead 24
tin 2
moly 553
nickel 1
manganese 6
silver 0
titanium 0
potassium 5
boron 14
silicon 18
sodium 32
calcium 2482
magnesium 9
phosphorus 1180
zinc 1451

visc sus@210 64
flash 450
fuel 1.5%
antifreeze ?
water 0
insolubles 0.4
TBN 2.3

Why is the TBN so low ??
confused.gif

You are using far too much LC20 here....

The Redline formulations have very high solvency to begin with. I wouldn't recommend using LC20 at all with Redline and certainly not 27 total ounces in only 5000 miles!!!

LC20 is not additized motor oil, it's more like a 20wt solvent oil. Too much LC20 will cause corrosive bearing wear and reduce your oil film thickness.

TS

I think that the combination of too much LC, too much silicone both did you in! The lead and iron definately are a result of 18PPM's of silicone combine with 27 onces of LC!

I would run some cheap havoline 10W30 and 8 onces for LC for about 1000 miles to allow the engine to normalize then try Redline again. This time I would not use any LC at all.

Nothing wrong with this report. TBN is probably about a 4 and we know from Terry RL can go to 0. RL also will keep more particles in suspension. Keep running it. I wouldn't use so much LC as stated.

WRONG, Ted and John. Both of you are well respected here ( rightfully most of the time) and you are unintentionally ( I hope) providing an incorrect interpretation.

This site needs some standardization and QC/QA in bold statements like those. It confuses folks.

LC is not the causal of increased elementals, You could have 1/2 of the volume of this mix LC and would not see deploymerization of RL.

Fuel,coolant, dirt are the issues boys.

Guys when you get free advice here you get what you pay for....... Be careful what you post and what you interpret from a given result.

I'll back up that comment with a track record of low wearing engines from many customers over the years. Just AXE em !

quote:

Be careful what you post and what you interpret from a given result.

I really don't know much about oil analysis. I just like to write and act like I know.
grin.gif

Serioiusly, unless your trained in this stuff like Terry, our comments aren't worth a dime. I suspect also that what we see in many cases is different chemistries acting differently in many different engines so it makes it tough to always analyze. Terry any truth to this?
cheers.gif

Buster, you and many with rapid typing capability !

All are certainly welcome and encouraged to comment. All are valued but when someone pops off with a incorrect assumption that couldn't be remotely correct knowing what the data is showing it is a bit irritating.

I figure you guys want emperical data not guesses about what this kind of data means.

Buster the variability from so many things in automotive oil analysis makes proper interpretation incredibly difficult. That really frustrates engineering types that can normally control the focus of their experimental observations.

Terry - you da man. It is so subtle. 32 ppm Na, probably above native in RL. K at 5, hmm. Si at 18. Not a one of us noting the ? after antifreeze, which we know by now is really a positive in Blackstone parlance.

The only thing I will say, parroting buster from the old days: When are we going to see a clean Redline UOA? (Yeah I know there have been a few)

quote:

The only thing I will say, parroting buster from the old days:When are we going to see a clean Redline UOA? (Yeah I know there have been a few)

That is a reasonable question, one that I've never quite understood. If I'm not mistaken, Terry did touch on that before. I think RL will exhaust itself cleaning many times when things are going south in the engine more so then other oils. It is complicated as Terry stated.
cheers.gif

I do know that RL uses http://www.analystsinc.com/ for their testing. I have a feeling RL's unique chemistry is tricking for the avg. analyst and this also might be why they don't like telling people that UOA's are a good measure to judge oils. Just a thought.

Turning yet another crappy Redline UOA into a positive requires some serious cogitation, I agree.

Such is encouraging, actually.

Makes me think that somewhere out there there's a doctor who will doubt the blood pressure cuff and tell me I'm "just fine."
tongue.gif

grin.gif

Dan

well you must ask - Why the perceived very high percentage of Redline UOA's that involve dirt ingestion/coolant leak/contamination?

Can someone get me the numbers?

ftm :
shocked.gif
grin.gif
lol.gif
I think I just shat myself!

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
well you must ask - Why the perceived very high percentage of Redline UOA's that involve dirt ingestion/coolant leak/contamination?

I beileve it is the unique cleaning chemistry of Redline that causes it to clean so well that it goes on ahead and sweeps the street while it's at it.
tongue.gif

Dan

I've done my fair sharing of bashing RL, but I'm not a tribologist so my opinion is useless. Terry is a tribologist and both he and Molekule, the board chemist, have nothing but great things to say about it. Who am I to argue?

So SBC, what is your plan and what did Terry suggest you do?
smile.gif

Dan, I generally don't get into BRAND discussions because it is not relevant to what I do; study (in depth) data from a oil analysis and interpret what it says. RL is just a chemistry type, that happens to work very well in stressed or hi performance engines like the one above.
To help you understand my position ; In your tongue and cheek BP analogy, the Dr. would look first at the cause of the BP being high, not the calibrated cuff or your basic normal blood chemistry.

More than likely blood vessel condition, heart( pump),kidney function ( filter), and any external contaminants in the blood that would impact the cause,not your basic blood chemistry that produced normal BP earlier.

I suggest your high BP is from being overweight,smoking, alcohol, drug use,diet, lack of exercise, etc. All outside the basic healthy blood chemistry values.

Dan heres another brand you haven't seen enough data on; as soon as Specialty Formulations gets their motor oils to the market , consider them as a alternative to Redline as their chemistry will exceed the durability and resistance to ouside stressors that RL has shown well in,which by all measures are tough conditions.

Guys, Terry has forgotten more about UOA interpretations than the rest of us know. The knowledge that he shares on this site, helps make BITOG the most imformative lubricant forum on the net. If you wish to bash redline, there are many redline threads on bitog where you can indulge yourself.........my UOA isn't one of them.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Test the viscosity of the oil in your sump. Now drain out 15%, ie 1/6 of that oil and substitute 15% of the 20wt LC20 and re-test.

What you will find is that the kinematic viscosity and Flash Point have been reduced by about 10% and the high temp, high shear viscosity has been decreased by at least that much.

Overdozing w/ LC20 may in fact de-polymerize the VI modifiers in the host lubricant and reduce oil pressure significantly.

According to redline.....their 5w30 doesn't contain any VI improvers. I think that the solvent portion of LC burns off after an amount of time.....and if so, the remaining lubricant may be thicker than LC out of the bottle.

Any test without a "control" group is no test at all.
smile.gif

I'd repeat this run without any LC20, then do another run like this one; then do another run without the LC20.

If you can get the wear rates and other test parameters like TBN to go up and down significantly, only then do you have a conclusive test....Of course you have to keep the quality of air filtration the same for all four test runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back