98 Corvette, PP 5w30, 5800 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously though, for 12 PPM of aluminum you are not showing a distinct wear problem. That is so close to noise as to not indicate any actual concerning wear taking place.

Unless the bottom of your oil pan is just covered in undissolved AL

Doubtful it's a problem. Another thing, they have to be small particles otherwise it would not be detected. Keep trending, that is all you can do. It might drop.

There are often a lot of peaks and valleys across the life of an engine.

Particle streak anyone?

Me thinks the alu was a fluke, and your next analysis will be better. It happens, and the more UOA's one performs the more chances they have of catching such an occurance. Oil filters don't capture all the baddies, and one may have slipt through.

The Extended Guard is not your typical fram, this is true. Would be interesting to see these a bunch of these cut open. Maybe once we have a nice set of samples, people will trust it more. I have one sitting on a shelf, once it racks up some miles on it, I'll cut the sucker open.

Last edited:
Even if the true Al was 12 instead of 7 forever. The net result (by my thinking) would be that the engine would last only 200,000 miles instead of 200,010. So what.

aehaas

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
Even if the true Al was 12 instead of 7 forever. The net result (by my thinking) would be that the engine would last only 200,000 miles instead of 200,010. So what.

I agree with that, but I also worry that the next one might see a jump from 12 to 20 and then 30 and then 40, etc. So as long as it doesn't continue to climb with each UOA, then I will be happy.

I think it's a great UOA for an older GM motor.

Three cheers for the Fram Extra Guard as well

I am scared to do an UOA on my LS6-I only od UOAs on my Honda

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back