98 corolla clicks then no power, looses charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all! 1998 Toyota corolla. Past 2 weeks, when going out to start my car, having parked it overnight, thiers an audible 'click' then car dies. I have shaked the battery a few times, wait a few minutes, then it starts.
Its an valuecraft battery bought brand new from autozone 8 months ago..a maintenance free one. in other words, it was built without the top 2 pieces to heck water level. I do have a an voltage checker I bought, plugs into cig lihter, showing voltage..itseems to fluctuate between 13.2 vlts and on startup, 14.5olts, but has gone down too 12.5 volts time to time...has a battery or alternator problem light, noneofwhich lit up.
new belt I put on back in September. Also, the power seemsto be completelygone overnight...coming out, theclock willsay, 1 am, despite its 9am...
is the alternator going?the battyer needs replacement?is it the starter or starter solenoid? or anair temp sensor?
any factual help appreciated!

I was also thinking the battery cables? the ground wires, leads, too trany and engine lock,exposed ends are near black* hadthishappen on myold 95 neo, and roommate, a makeshiftmechanic said thata no good..
perhaps the wires (leads and cables)are near shot?

cables are pretty much clean, except for a barely visible amount of whitish powder at on of the cables too post..rest is metal.
gotta find my ohm meter...
what charge should the battery be at?for a 98 corolla? volts*

the fact that you "shake the battery and then it starts" leads me to believe two things..#1 you have a loose connection somewhere #2 your battery is not propery strapped down in the first place.

this is where id be looking first...

What do you mean by "an audible 'click' then car dies." Does the engine start and then die? Does it not turn over at all?

If it is just a click, then you need a new starter.

I once had a battery that would drain itself without being connected to anything.

It would drain itself while out of the car sitting on the garage floor.

Get a good battery terminal and post cleaning tool and clean those parts and make sure you have a good and clean connection there. Then try to start it again. If you get a click or multiple clicks, it is probably your starter.

Did you take the battery cables off? If not...do so and clean them on the inside with a wire brush and scrape out the build up acid so there clean down to the metal. Do the same to the battery terminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back