98 continental oil use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently borrowing a 1998 Lincoln Continental with 75,000 miles on it. I might buy it. I've had it for about two weeks. It seems to be using oil. Is this normal for this car? Any advice?

The 4.6L DOHC is not known for oil consumption issues, but it is common to see a puff of blue smoke on start up from the valve stem seals.

My Mark VIII always did this but never consumed much oil during the course of an oil change. I switched it to Pennzoil High Mileage 5w30 and after a few thousand miles the startup smoke stopped altogether.
thumbsup2.gif

The 4.6 L is a great engine and you can get 250,000 to 300,000 miles with no problem (with maintenance).

The 4.6 L from the factory uses hypereutectic pistons and one of the areas of concern is detonation - the piston can fracture between the top and second compression rings (ring land). This will not be noticeable during driving only on oil consumption. It is the beginning of a more serious condition later. I’ve seen an engine run for 50,000 miles with only oil consumption complaints. I have pictures of this somewhere, if I can find them I will post them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back