98 Chevy pickup using oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

st9

I have a 98 Chevy pickup 5.7 that is using oil. There are no oil leaks and it doesn't smoke. Any suggestions as to anything I can use to slow this down? I currently use 10w-30 oil.

How much oil usage?

I'd recommend going with Maxlife 10w-30 summer, and 5w-30 winter (gets cold in WY). Maxlife has helped a lot of people reduce oil consumption in their vehicles.

How many miles on the engine?

If it doesn't leak and it doesn't smoke it has to be going someplace?,you sure it doesn't smoke at start up or during deceleration or acceleration??,valves seals may be bad.

i run M1 10w30HM in my 225,000 mile '99 5.7,uses none...

I changed the pcv valve a couple months ago, it has 180,000 miles on it, I'm just trying to make it last as long as possible, would a 10w-40 be too heavy?

In Summertime, you certainly could use a 10-40, or any of the excellent 15-40s in that engine.
Thicker oil is the oldest tick in the book for attenuating oil use.

With consumption that high, I can't believe it is not ascertainable as to where all the oil is going.

We don't know (or do we
54.gif
) how that 500 miles is reached. Is it over 3 months and 150 starts ..or one day cruising coast to coast??

What's the consumption rate on one drop ever 100 feet? I don't know which "drop" they used in determining it ..but it came out to a quart every so many miles (I don't want to do the math for all the various drops). If you used 1/20ml per drop ..that would be 1ml per 2000 feet. One quart every 2M feet ..which would be a quart every 378 miles.

I don't know if one drop, collectively, being introduced into the combustion/exhaust stream every 150ft+/-, would be detectable.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
We don't know (or do we
54.gif
) how that 500 miles is reached. Is it over 3 months and 150 starts ..or one day cruising coast to coast??

What's the consumption rate on one drop ever 100 feet? I don't know which "drop" they used in determining it ..but it came out to a quart every so many miles (I don't want to do the math for all the various drops). If you used 1/20ml per drop ..that would be 1ml per 2000 feet. One quart every 2M feet ..which would be a quart every 378 miles.

I don't know if one drop, collectively, being introduced into the combustion/exhaust stream every 150ft+/-, would be detectable.

mad0079.gif
......lol,my head hurts,i'd say who cares thats allot.

Originally Posted By: st9
I changed the pcv valve a couple months ago, it has 180,000 miles on it, I'm just trying to make it last as long as possible, would a 10w-40 be too heavy?

Was it using the same amount of oil before the PCV valve change? Is the PCV hose blocked up? Did you use aN OEM replacement, or an after market like a Fram PCV Valve? After market PCV valves can cause problems. HTH

Originally Posted By: st9
I have a 98 Chevy pickup 5.7 that is using oil. There are no oil leaks and it doesn't smoke. Any suggestions as to anything I can use to slow this down? I currently use 10w-30 oil.

Put the late model PCV valve on it. These engines are very good at sucking oil through the PCV valve.

Fixed orifice PCV valve

you can use 10w40 if you would like. It will absolutely not hurt that engine at all. I would not suggest running it for its entire life as it does get pretty cold there. I have the same engine and have been running Rotella 15w40 for a very long time and have 210,000 miles on my one truck. I even run it in the winter but it dont get all that cold here in nc. when it is <30F i just let it warm up a little. If you want to try a xw40 to see if it reduces some oil consumption go ahead. Honestly if you are burning 1 qt at 500 miles, the 40 weight oil will not fix the problem. it may slow it down enough to make it reasonable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back