98 altima 2.4 Best oil and filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This topic got lost yesterday. When I do a search i find it, but the link carries me to a different topic!

anyway, the subjects asks the question. what do you guys think, since this engine reportedly shears oil badly?

by the way, syns are preferred. mileage is 105k, engine very clean inside.

thanks

From oil UOA I have determined that Mobil 1 10w-30 is the best oil for most applications. This would include your car. Still not certain of the best filter but Pureone is what I use. Others that are good are OEM japanesse filter,Wix,K&N,and Mobil 1. Take you pick and all will be well.
grin.gif

Since your engine beats on oil, I might just run Castrol Syntec Blend, and do regular oci's.

If you want to go Syn, I'd try M1 10W-30 and see how it's working.

Amsoil ATM would be good to consider if you want to go somewhat longer on the oci.

Best?
dunno.gif

German Castrol with a Napa Gold 1344 (Wix) filter seems to work pretty well on mine. See My KA24DE UOA

I'm going to 10,000 miles on my current fill. It seems to be one tough oil.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

If only I could find GC around Atlanta!!

What about Rotella syn 5w-40? Any potential damage to the emmissions components. It's rated SL, but my manual specs at least "SG or SH", and the API Starburst. Am I screwed?

quote:

Originally posted by 90hardbody:

What about Rotella syn 5w-40? Any potential damage to the emmissions components. It's rated SL, but my manual specs at least "SG or SH", and the API Starburst. Am I screwed?

I'm sure you can find the GC at Autozone in Atlanta. Look again. SL spec. is ok. It's a newer spec.

quote:

Autozone in Marietta has it as well as the one on Buford Highway (Chamblee). Talk to the store manager at your closest Autozone.

As for oil recommendation, I had good luck with Amsoil ATM 10w-30 versus their ASL 5w-30.

As for Mobil 1, mix in 1 or 2 quarts of M1 15w-50 with the M1 10w-30. The sump/filter is 4.25 quarts, correct?

quote:

Originally posted by John in the ATL:

quote:

Autozone in Marietta has it as well as the one on Buford Highway (Chamblee). Talk to the store manager at your closest Autozone.

As for oil recommendation, I had good luck with Amsoil ATM 10w-30 versus their ASL 5w-30.

As for Mobil 1, mix in 1 or 2 quarts of M1 15w-50 with the M1 10w-30. The sump/filter is 4.25 quarts, correct?

I'm thinking that using 15W-50 as a top up/additive to the 10W-30 might be good this Summer. Have you had success with this??

My confusion was not over current API specs, but rather, would a dual-rated fleet oil (no starburst), do any damage to the cat or other smog control stuff (higher sulfer, etc.), or am I not to worry?

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

I'm thinking that using 15W-50 as a top up/additive to the 10W-30 might be good this Summer. Have you had success with this?? [/QB][/QUOTE]

No not yet. I have been running Amsoil ATM 10w-30 since November 2002 with an auto-rx flush last fall with Castrol GTX 10w-30. The newest Amsoil ATM 10w-30 OCI started in November 2003.

I believe a quart of M1 15w-50 would boost the thickness and add some more ZDDP. Plus Mobil allows for mixing of different viscosities versus other brands that are very different in chemistry between their viscosities.

quote:

My confusion was not over current API specs, but rather, would a dual-rated fleet oil (no starburst), do any damage to the cat or other smog control stuff (higher sulfer, etc.), or am I not to worry?

With a car out of warranty, a heavier non API oil would not hurt. More zinc (ZDDP) would be better for wear than less. I think the theory about destoying the cat conv is way overblown. Non API rated Amsoil (high ZDDP additive package) has not cause any problems for my 94 altima.

I vote for M1 mix over the Rotella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back