98-02 Honda Accord BAXA Transmission Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2000 Honda Accord 4 cylinder with the BAXA transmission was tired, worn and exhausted at 194,900 miles, so I ordered a rebuilt/reman unit that was installed yesterday, 12/23/19. In addition, since the trans was pulled out of the way, I opted to install a new OEM rear engine mount, OEM trans mount and an OEM rear crankshaft seal, i.e., rear main seal; I purchased the OEM parts in advance. While doing the job, the tech said that the rear and trans mounts were fine, but the front mount had a significant tear on the bottom side of the rubber mount. I had planned on doing this mount next year, but decided to go ahead and replace it; I had to settle for an aftermarket one because I could not get an OEM mount quickly. So far so good, but I can always replace it if it fails or is substandard OEM quality. Lastly, the tech replaced the spark plug seals, torque-down grommets and valve cover gasket. Out the door for $1839, save the OEM parts that I purchasd separately. 3-year unlimited mile warranty. Honda DW-1 fluid was used. The tech let me take a picture of the new unit before it was installed.

Honda Accord - 98-02 Transmission.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
That's a lot of love for a 20 yo Honda. How far do you plan to run it?

It's in great shape, so I hope to run it for at least another 10 yrs. It's way cheaper than a new car payment.

Very nice. I have an 02 Accord that I need to replace the baxa transmission in. Where did you buy yours and how much was it? What issues did you have with your transmission that caused you to replace it?

Originally Posted by joegreen
Very nice. I have an 02 Accord that I need to replace the baxa transmission in. Where did you buy yours and how much was it? What issues did you have with your transmission that caused you to replace it?

The transmission began to shifts very softly in the cold weather, perhaps because of leaky internal seals. The car also lost some of it power and the idle dropped slightly, perhaps because of the worn torque converter. I used WTR Transmission in Buford GA. $1635 just for the trans (installed) and 3 yr warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mclasser
We had to replace the tranny on our 02 @135k.

Yes, these Honda transmissions were poorly engineered. How many miles do you have on the new trans? When was it done?

That's a great price. I paid 3k for a transmission rebuilt about 4-5 years ago in NJ. It had around the same miles, 180-190k, 2000 Accord SE. Mine was worse than tired, it wouldn't shift right beyond first and second gear. So far so good, I change the ATF fluid every 2 years, but the car is driven around town picking up kids and grocery getter so the miles are low, currently at around 215k mileage.

I need to do the exact same thing on my car - also a 2000 4cyl, except I'm using a 58k mile jdm trans.

Originally Posted by mister_two
That's a great price. I paid 3k for a transmission rebuilt about 4-5 years ago in NJ. It had around the same miles, 180-190k, 2000 Accord SE. Mine was worse than tired, it wouldn't shift right beyond first and second gear. So far so good, I change the ATF fluid every 2 years, but the car is driven around town picking up kids and grocery getter so the miles are low, currently at around 215k mileage.

Yes, it's a great price; it would have been $300 cheaper if I had opted for the basic 12K mile/1-year warranty. The transmission shop only services Honda/Acura too, so that was a big plus because they address many of the deficiencies in Honda/Acura transmissions that cause them to fail in the first place. It was well worth the 54-mile drive from our home.

As an update as of Feb. 9, 2020, I did the first D&F at roughly 850 miles on the new trans. I used a combination of D4 and D6. The shifts are firmer, which I like. I plan on slowly doing 4 D&F's over the next few months using Redline. Also, the trans shop used Raybestos clutches (Made for Honda & Acura), which are much more grabby than OEM. The new fluid with the new clutches makes the shifting more enjoyable to drive.

[Linked Image]

Here is a D&F Percentage Chart that I created for this transmission. If I'm incorrect, please feel to let me know where my math is off.

Total Capacity: 6.4 Qts
D&F fluid removal: 2.3 Qts.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back