97 Taurus vulcan v6, 5k on rotella 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
taurus081708.jpg

This is my sisters car that I take care of for her. It gets a lot of city miles during the week and lots of long trips on weekends. Engine and trans run great. Just did a bunch of front end and brake work, and a new cam sensor.

I used exxon superflow 10w30 in the 2200 mile run.

after that I think i used Havoline 10/5w30 (depending on season) I think the last 3 are all rotella 5w40. This most recent one, the 1 qt of makeup oil was havoline 10w30.

Pure one filters almost every time.

I also put 5 oz of lube control in at each change and do a fuel power treatment at that time too.

Last edited:
The only two things that stand out to me are the high Si levels and the levels of NA and K. Possibly a very slight coolant leak. Does the air filter ever get changed?

Originally Posted By: FZ1
No more than 6k oci on this rig.

LOL.gif
FZ1 ..you never fail me
LOL.gif

Santo: The numbers are all in the noise basket. You could triple them and still be "uneasily happy". Nothing there is going to buy any future junkyard real estate.

The earlier vulcans (don't know about your year) would occasionally have head gasket problems, but most that I've heard of were were on the combustion side and not the oil side with their failures. But even if you do have one ...it's not showing up in any markers.

Going by the dates, it looks like 15k+ over 20+/- months. There's no reason not to go one year with this oil. I would suggest, however, trying 6month OCI's with a 5w-20. This engine does well on any viscosity oil.

Change the air filter and check all the oddball vacuum hoses that Ford likes to hang under the hood. You're getting to the fatigue age for much of that stuff.

The air filter gets changed once a year. Ive checked around before and cant find anything, ill do some inspecting next oil change. Its not bad under the hood because it has been garaged most of its life. At least the silicon is consistent, and in line with the averages. :)

As far as a coolant leak, hope not. Its not using any.

Nice consistent wear. I think you could use a 6k oci and save the uoa money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back