'97 Honda D Series A/T Dipstick - No Longer Fits Transaxle Case Hole 😐

Per the title, this is the second (😡) time this has happened on my '97 Civic EX 2 dr 😡. Per the pix, attached, the rubber portion of the dipstick has shrunk and now it's a sloppy fit into the hole in the transaxle case. As indicated, this was a new dipstick I bought, and it, too, now is sloppy. Said dipstick hole in the transaxle case is on a horizontal ledge on the case and said ledge is quite low, close to the ground. It'd have a propensity to have road splash / water deposited onto the ledge which'd make its way into the ATF 🙁.

Do folks think soaking this assembly into a small diameter, tall cylinder filled with HMMO (seal swellers) would have merit?

Or, I could also use PVC tape (is there a high temp variant??) to build up the diameter with several turns of tape.

Any other ideas? Anyone with similar experience?

Attachments

• PXL_20220925_232532836.jpg
    PXL_20220925_232532836.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 8
I wrapped electrical tape around the tranny plug on my daughter's '15 Civic with a CVT. Her's had a similar plug without the dipstick attached and was popping out too. Found it laying there atop the tranny one day and noticed it didn't fit as tightly at it once did. Sprayed it off really good with brake clean, dry it, wrap it and check it now & again.

Back