97 Honda Accord automatic at 137,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I think my transmission is doing great at 137,000 miles. This fluid has about 24,000 on 94% and probably 137,000 on the rest. I bought the car at 113,500 and the fluid looked like it was never changed ie no color etc. I quickly changed it 4 times with honda z1 fluid. This is the LX 2.2 4 cylinder
aluminum 8
chromium 0
iron 51
copper 10
lead 1
tin 1
moly 1
nickle 0
manganese0
silver 0
titanium 0
potassium 1
boron 228
silicon 5
sodium 2
calcum 390
magnesium 199
phosphorus 26
zinc 324
barium 0
viscosity at 210 45.9
flashpoint 350
water 0
insolubles trace

Blackstone labs did the test. What do you think?

Can anybody tell me if the problems with late model Honda automatic transmissions can be averted
by changing ATF regularly? My 01' Accord has the extended warranty to 100K because of problems with
the A/T (carrier bearing problem I believe). Some have suggested to beat it up and not change the fluid so that Honda will replace it under warranty. I am of the thought that if I change the ATF every 20K I can avoid the problem. Any ideas?

I think the problem with the 98-01 transmissions was a design error. While frequent fluid changes will help extend the useful life of the transmssion before repairs are necessary, it is not a permanent fix for the problem. I think your Honda Dealer is probably the best place for advise on this.

The iron looks really high. Does this A/T have the magnetic drain plug? Was it cleaned when you did the 4 drain & refills? Everything else looks really good.

It was cleaned each time. I guess Iron builds up fairly quickly ie 24,000-30,000 should be the limit for a change. I figure we get almost half the fluid out at a change so the iron level after this change starts out at about 25ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back