'97 GM 4.3 oil cooler line popped off.

162,000 miles. Engine stalled in traffic. I opened hood and saw the oil cooler line had popped off the radiator, dumping oil all over the left side. I pushed it back on. The engine cranked slowly, but after a couple minutes restarted and was able to pull off to the side. and reset the clip in the oil cooler line and added 4 quarts. Drove home ok, scared to death.

I pulled the filter and cut it open. There were small metallic flakes in the filter, scraped some out, but I could not feel them between my fingers.

Oil pressure is still over 40, where's it's always been. Seems to run ok.

I'm hoping the GM 90degree cast iron pushrod V6 will live up to its reputation and forgive me.

I read somewhere the zero oil pressure sensing will shut off the fuel pump, but that did not seem to happen in this case.

Anyone have similar experience?

I've got one of those, but only 155,000 miles. I'd bet you're good to go for another 100,000 miles. Were those the original oil lines? Most have had them replaced by that many years and/or a new radiator too. Sounds like maybe the end fitting wasn't engaged in the clip properly to attach it to the radiator and it popped out.

The 4.3 is a simple machine, with roller cam and roller rockers, only one short timing chain with no tensioners, and not much to go wrong.

I've got one of those, but only 155,000 miles. I'd bet you're good to go for another 100,000 miles. Were those the original oil lines? Most have had them replaced by that many years and/or a new radiator too. Sounds like maybe the end fitting wasn't engaged in the clip properly to attach it to the radiator and it popped out.

The 4.3 is a simple machine, with roller cam and roller rockers, only one short timing chain with no tensioners, and not much to go wrong.

Good to hear. Yes, it was exactly that: I replaced the radiator. The mistake I made was to reuse the "quick-clip" fittings that are screwed into the radiator. New ones are included with the radiator from RA but came in little bag stapled to the inside of the box. I only found them after this little mishap made me reexamine everything. Refitting the little clips is a pain, and a pointless one at that.

When using the new fitting, the line is just "popped" into place, seating under the spring clip, sealed with a fresh internal oring.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Year later, 172k miles now, it's still running, but I only use it about once a week now. Oil pressure is good. It does have what sounds like balance shaft rattle at about 25-2800 rpm. I never really need it to go above 2100 or so. When it's hot that rattle seems to subside.
I suspect the balance shaft bushing might have eaten it. Won't open it for that. If the upper manifold gasket shows signs of failing I might open it all up and see.

Back