97 geo prizm timing belt / water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, but if the pump is run by a separate V belt or serpentine belt, you should be able to look under the hood and see the pump/pulley attached to it.

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
Does anyone know if on a 1997 geo prizm, with the 1.6 L 4A-FE engine. Does the timing belt run the water pump?

No, there is a separate belt that runs the water pump and alternator, another separate belt that runs the power steering pump, and a 3rd separate belt that runs the A/C compressor.

Thanks guys, i am going to change the timing belt and thought that if the pump is run buy the timing belt, then I would change both..but since I can get to the pump without having to take the cover for the T.B off, then I will just let it alone.

If the engine has really high mileage, I'd just change the pump. It's cheap and easy, and you'll have all the belts and timing covers out of the way when you're doing the T-belt.

In addition, change the spring and the T-belt tensioner/pulley. Don't want the tensioner bearing to fail and wipe out the belt like this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1426706#Post1426706

You can get kits that have a belt, pulley/tensioner, and tensioner spring.

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
Thanks guys, i am going to change the timing belt and thought that if the pump is run buy the timing belt, then I would change both..but since I can get to the pump without having to take the cover for the T.B off, then I will just let it alone.

As mentioned above, while the pump is not driven by the timing belt, much of the same work to GET TO the pump is shared with the timing belt, so you might as well do the pump if you have high mileage (over 200K miles.)

I'm at 235K and I think my pump is now just starting to make some noise. Sadly, I just had the timing belt done last spring, so I likely be paying for much of the same labor again when it's time to do the pump.

Part of the water pump is hidden behind the timing belt so you still need to take the T-belt off to replace the water pump. Probably go ahead and change both in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back