97 Civic HX valve cover pics

I am slowly going through everything on the HX. Today's fun was replacing the valve cover gasket. Whoever installed the previous one did a terrible job. The car has 226k miles and who knows how many previous owners. Enjoy...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Doesn't look too bad considering the mileage. The level / color of the varnish on that engine looks similar to what I see under the valve covers on my Maxima that's approaching 300k..

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Looks good
thumbsup2.gif

Thank you for posting! What is that purple thing?
smile.gif

It's a lid off a quart of Royal Purple motor oil. Haha j/k
grin.gif

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Bet those tube seals are in there good and tight.

They actually came out pretty easy (thankfully!).

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Looks good
thumbsup2.gif

Thank you for posting! What is that purple thing?
smile.gif

That would be the "super cool" oil cap. Car came with it.

Originally Posted by CARJ
Originally Posted by ctechbob
Bet those tube seals are in there good and tight.

They actually came out pretty easy (thankfully!).

Good deal!! Mine usually fling off to parts unknown when they pop loose.

Talk about a throwback, I forgot about these cars. Do you have the stick or CVT?

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Doesn't look too bad considering the mileage. The level / color of the varnish on that engine looks similar to what I see under the valve covers on my Maxima that's approaching 300k..

360k miles on this 2000 GS300 with unknown oil change history.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dishdude
Talk about a throwback, I forgot about these cars. Do you have the stick or CVT?

5 speed.
cool.gif

At least it's not sludged up, maybe a couple of shorter OCI would clean it up. You can't really complain with unknown service history and your current mileage.

I was a young mechanic at a Honda dealer when the HX was out. Two door only, lean burn E-Vtec engine meant for fuel efficiency, alloy wheels, same seats as the EX... The engine in the HX trim was made in Japan while other Civics had Ohio made engines.
Most came with a 5 speed manual but a few had a CVT which was unreliable as one would expect in the early days of the CVT. The HX Civic felt faster than the EX of the same model year despite the HX not having quite as much HP.

It's been leaking a lot. The bottom is coated in oil. I can't tell if the oil pan gasket is leaking or not. So all that to say, that I usually add 1/2-1 qt of oil in a 5k mi run. I've only changed the oil three times so far and all with a synthetic 5w30. It might be time to try a high mileage 10w30 or 40.

Back