'97 Camry hit 325,000 miles yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought it new. Thinking back on repairs and reviewing records, I only come up with: suspension (one set of quick struts), 1 starter, 1 crankshaft pulley. Other than that, excellent maintenance...and of course wipers, tires, brakes, and 2 batteries. Everything works as new except for one inside door handle that broke...easy fix, but don't use that door much so haven't messed with it.
Edited to add: (absolutely no leaks of any kind and does not burn a drop of oil during 5k OCI's)

Yep, nearly all highway which certainly helps. We live 15 miles from anything (rural area), so very, very few number of times it has been short-tripped without the engine being warmed up.

haha...okay, I'll go get the camera out of my car, I was just being lazy. I planned ahead and took the camera to work that day (phone camera doesn't focus good enough up close). Pic coming soon...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
pics or this is all a fairy tale...

51eae8b7e44a869f4b01fd3185366d16.jpg

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
What kind of oil/filter have you been running?

Plan on keeping it until it explodes?

M1 HM 5w30 for a long time. Most recently a M1 filter bought on a good sale.
Yes, pretty much. It is my dd for work right now, about 40 miles each way. Still gets great gas mileage and has been completely reliable, so really no reason to stop at this point. Family doesn't drive it, so I'm not really concerned about a breakdown or anything.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
I'm curious what engine it is.

4cyl

Awesome! I sold my 2.2L 97' Camry a few days after a last minute 3,000 mile round trip to Montana in July. Did it like a champ! Had 197k miles. I wanted to take it to above and beyond mileage but I didn't feel confident in the transmission and the A/C compressor was making noise. Here's to another 325k!
beer3.gif

My grandson has a 2002 Camry V6 with 190K. Even though the engine has been great(M1 5-30 at 10K OCIs)the rest of the car has been trouble. Gear shifter, door handles, wheel bearings, front axles, AC issues, radiator replacement, rear valve cover gasket($400), starter, alternator, etc. Like anything, some good ones and some bad ones.

What about the timing belt?

Not surprised its not burning/loosing oil with the 4 cylinder - I had a 2000 Solara V6 for awhile and at 115K It was loosing about a 1/2 qt between oil changes.

Out of curiosity do you live in a flat area and how is the body holing up (Rust?)

Last edited:
Nice! Testament to both your maintenance and Toyota.

Manual transmission I take it?

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
What about the timing belt?

Not surprised its not burning/loosing oil with the 4 cylinder - I had a 2000 Solara V6 for awhile and at 115K It was loosing about a 1/2 qt between oil changes.

Out of curiosity do you live in a flat area and how is the body holing up (Rust?)

Sorry, yes, timing belt (and water pump) at about 90k intervals.
Have started getting just a little rust the last 2 years below the door seals.
Yes, fairly flat. Some hills, but usually not enough to downshift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back