96 Taurus ABS light

Status
Not open for further replies.
in most cases the problem is either a broken wire going to a wheel sensor or a bad wheel sensor. these are exposed to the elements and take some abuse.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
My Daughter said the ABS light is on. Is there any way to get the codes with out going to a shop or buying a $259 code reader?

Does the horn work? Is the light blinking? If it is blinking 3 times pause then 2 times, and the horn and cruise control are not working it is the clock switch. I just replaced one on a 93 Aerostar. The part is about $100 online, and about a 2 hour project. HTH

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
Autozone or Advance Auto will read them for free. Once oyu have the code post it here or go to http://www.Tauruscarclub.com and post it in the forums.

btw in some states they cant. in CA they cant because the people pulling the codes arent smog technicians.

the real story is for California, the big auto repair box shops and the dealerships got together to force AZ and kragens from performing the procedure because "they aren't trained technicians and will offer wrong advice."
This is still pending in CA.
AZ got smart and in CA only, will not perform the procedure, BUT will loan the scan tool to the customer for free and the customer will go and scan the codes themselves. Dunno if kragen's does this or not, I know AZ does.
What's even more funny.. the consumer can BUY a code scanner and do with it what they want.
AZ is simply empowering the consumer and I see nothing wrong with that. By the customer having the code, they can take away the 1hr "diagnostic" time to simply read the code and nothing more. I've heard of shops complaining about it, the "easy money" now needs to be earned.
Who's to say that a shop and a trained technician gives the right advice?
Aamco also does the free code scanning as well.
I know there's usually something more to the code itself, but it does give the consumer a peace of mind knowing what the code is, they may not know what it means, but they know what it is and can research it if they so choose.

Part of the problem was Autozone would pull codes, and based on those codes would sell a customer a part (often an unreturnable electrical part). If the part didn't fix it then, "Oh well!"

From personal experience, I had customers with lean codes, as well as 2 new Autozone O2 sensors, come in only to have me replace a 50 cent piece of vac line to fix the real problem.

Got no problems with Autozone pulling codes and giving info, I do have a problem with them ripping off ignorant customers.

Called Schucks and Autozone and they both said they won't scan ABS codes........

Looks like code readers are kind of pricey for not being used very often.

Looks like about $130 and up for a scanner.....I might wait and inspect my Daughter's wheel speed sensors when I can get near her car.

You better hope it's not a rear issue. There aren't any connectors in the wire between the hub and somewhere inside the floor pan!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You better hope it's not a rear issue. There aren't any connectors in the wire between the hub and somewhere inside the floor pan!
mad.gif

Are you saying I need to replace the hub bearing if the rear sensor is bad?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
No. Ford puts the connectors inside of the vehicle. On my Crown Vic, they run up through the floor pan and are inside of the trunk.

I see.....I will keep that in mind. Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back