96 Saturn SL2, valvetrain pix at 163K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the valve cover gasket today. Finally have some pix to share.

I'd say the Auto-RX and LC (Lube Control) are working well!

Quick review: Bought the car used with 81K in unclean shape. 2 Auto-RX treatments around 100K. LC used since about 110K or so. Latest UOA here

I'm quite happy with seeing a clean valvetrain and a VERY clean timing chain set.

100_0503a.jpg

For those with dial-up connections, links provided for the other photos:
Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
Pic5
Pic6

Movie (10MB) My favorite band was playing on XM Channel 41 at the time I shot this clip.
smile.gif

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Interesting to see the backside of the cam-lobes are narrower than the lobe area.

Presumably this creates less friction in a location on the cam where there is less valve-spring pressure, then where the cams begin to push on the springs, the surface area increases to reduce overall PSI on the mating surfaces. Interestingly, you can even see the wear pattern caused by the lifter spread out as it gets closer to the peak of the lobe.

I wonder how much internal friction reduction and therefore increased HP/fuel economy this is good for.

Interesting that I've never noticed that before on an engine! Learn/see something new every day.

I think the change in cam lobe width opposite it's throw profile, is to promote lifter rotation enabling even wear and ultimately longer life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back