96 Saturn OBDII Diagnostic Port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the OBDII diagnostic port "plug-in" located on my '96 Saturn SL2? I have a CEL right now, but I don't know where I am supposed to plug-in the code reader.

Also, is it true that Autozone gives free code scans?

Thanks,
Mike

On the wife's 99, the plug is convenient--underneath the dash, far left. It doesn't even have a cover over it. And yes, AZ gives free code scans.

come back when you can't find your "cam position sensor".
grin2.gif

(most common code on that car, and a pointer for ignition misfires)

Thanks guys.

I've lost 12 ounces of coolant over the course of a month, my MPG is down, and my oil consumption is up about 50%. I'm currently on the Auto-RX rinse cycle.

I'll keep everyone posted. I have 14k on a set of NGK Coppers and Delco wires, I don't know why I'd have misfire problems this soon though.

It was a P0133 code. Oxygen sensor, upstream.

The light went off as I left, so I think I'm going to leave it alone until the light comes back on again.

Also keep in mind in case you do not know that there are also things called pending codes. Basically a certain situation has to hit 3 times (for example) before the CEL is turned on. Most good scanners can pick up pending codes (ones that have hot 1 or 2 times). It could be two times or ten times, but its a pending code.

That 133 will be back, reccomend the bosch universal o2s in this application. Autozone cheap, $18.

Did this in one of my saturns and it cured a bog.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
That 133 will be back, reccomend the bosch universal o2s in this application. Autozone cheap, $18.

Dad won't replace it until the light comes back on. I bet $20 that it will be back on before the end of the week.

I'll call my parts guy tomorrow and see how cheap the direct fit sensors are. I'm a klutz when it comes to splicing. Thanks for the idea about the universal sensors though.

I replaced an 02 sensor out of my 92 mirage. it was a PITA. I had to use hot candle wax to get it out with an 02 socket with heavy doses of PB blaster

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Service Engine Soon light came back on last night. I'll find out this weekend if it's the same code, but it probably is.

Dealer was $98-$120 for the upstream sensor. $61 for the Bosch direct fit. Does anyone know of a unit with a lifetime warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back