96 Metro spec'd for SH or GF-1 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm due for an oil change, and with the summer heat already upon us here in south Louisiana, I'm leaning towards giving Rotella SAE 30 a try.
I've got a few gallon jugs of it and it meets API service SJ specs.

I think no harm would be done. Maybe just a good cleaning? Should I run it for a few hundred miles and dump it, then go with a fresh fill?

Since I've got it, I'd really like to give it a go.

Opinions, thoughts, prophecies?

Rob

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Use it up. No sense wasting it.
+1
thumbsup2.gif

Won't hurt a thing. I have a 94 Metro (spec'd for SG) and I"m using a bunch of old Valvoline SJ oil I found at a store. Used in in my last change too, went about 7000 miles, mostly highway. Use and enjoy.

Run it. Anything above 40 degrees and you are good to go. When cooler weather comes, a 50/50 blend with Formula Shell 5w20 gets you very close to a 10-30. Very good oil.

That oil is too good to be used as a quick flush. Use it for a decent OCI - 3000mi at the very least!

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
I've got a case of Napa Premium SAE 30 also. It meets API service requirement SM.

Rotella sae 30 = API SJ

Napa sae 30 = API SM

Why?

Anyone?

Just different requirements when blending.

The NAPA oil is designed to be a PCMO, so it meets the latest requirements.

The Rotella is designed to be a HDEO, so it will have more additives, which may disqualify it from meeting SL or SM, and the blenders are okay with that, b/c it isn't really intended to be used in passenger-car gas engines.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Cool to hear you're still soldiering on in the Metro. Hope it's holding up okay.

Oh absolutely!
I've been driving it one year now as my "get me to the grocery store, the gym, and my 2 jobs" car. It keeps the miles off my F250 powerstroke so I can use it primarily on the weekends as a family vehicle. Weird, I know, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love having a small "go to car" that gets me 40mpg regardless of how I drive it.
I invested some money and time into it to get it running right, but it is as dependable as the day is long. Leaks no oil, minimal consumption, and fun to drive.

As long as you look after the car, it will run forever... They are a very good engine. A friend of our family had one and it went 458K KM (284K Miles) before the engine finally gave up the ghost, and they didn't do much to it, and probably didn't change the oil on a timely schedule!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Cool to hear you're still soldiering on in the Metro. Hope it's holding up okay.

Oh absolutely!
I've been driving it one year now as my "get me to the grocery store, the gym, and my 2 jobs" car. It keeps the miles off my F250 powerstroke so I can use it primarily on the weekends as a family vehicle. Weird, I know, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love having a small "go to car" that gets me 40mpg regardless of how I drive it.
I invested some money and time into it to get it running right, but it is as dependable as the day is long. Leaks no oil, minimal consumption, and fun to drive.

I was green with envy last year when you posted on your purchase. Made me want to go small, too!

I was looking HARD at the Honda Fit prior to stumbling across the great deal I got on the 96 Metro.

Post a pic of your 09 Fit Sport, that's one sharp looking package.

Oh, and by the way, GEAUX TIGERS this Saturday!

Is it a 3cyl? I heard these ones have some issues compared to the 4cyl. Man, I dunno if I could do a metro. I "downgraded" from a newer VW golf to a 97 corolla, and man, its not a drivers car, i could only imagine what a metro would be like!

Alas, I always wanted a little 3cyl 2dr 5sp metro hatch with A/C..... much harder to find with A/C. I did drives a friends 3cyl AUTO convertible metro and man, talk about lack of power... downright dangerous to drive in anything more than light traffic!

It's really too bad they aren't made anymore... Good, reliable, simple cars that are great on gas and drive pretty well!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back