'96 Grand Prix - 3100 V6 oil leak

Looking for input from folks that have experience with the GM 60 degree engines. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas of where an oil leak on the passenger side of a 3.1L engine might come from.

Looking underneath, there is oil dripping from the motor mount on that side. Looking up, the only oil I can see is in the passenger rear corner of the engine block where it meets the timing cover. There's no oil on the back of the block (or toward the drivers side) and no oil on the oil pan itself. Oil is limited to the very corner of the block, around / underneath where the alternator mounts, and seems to drip onto the motor mount. I can't see where it might be leaking from, the area is wet and obviously oil has been running down it, but I can't actually see a leak even with the engine running. Area it is leaking from is above/behind the crankshaft seal, I'm certain it's not coming from there.

It seems confined to that very corner of the block. I'm pretty stumped. This engine / my garage floor was completely dry until a couple days ago, so this seems to have happened relatively suddenly.

Before I start taking things apart, adding dye, etc. to get a better view, anyone have any ideas or are there any common culprits for leaks in this area on this engine? TIA.

look behind the power steering pump at the end seal for the intake manifold where it meets the block. The RTV fails and they leak oil and it runs out the back.
Looking down there I don't see any oil, but I can't see the whole mating surface; too much stuff in the way. I replaced the heads on this engine about 10k ago, so I did that seal myself, but I guess it's a possibility that it might be leaking. I'll have to remove the PS pump to get a better look.

Take it to a car wash and degrease the engine. You might then be able to easily find the leak yourself instead of guessing.
lol knew this was coming! I know how to find a leak. I’m looking for those with experience with a 3100 that might offer ideas on what is around that area that could cause a leak, just as the first fellow that replied did.

lol knew this was coming! I know how to find a leak. I’m looking for those with experience with a 3100 that might offer ideas on what is around that area that could cause a leak, just as the first fellow that replied did.
I knew your response was coming too. I am driven by results not speculation. Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, just an option of what I would do.

Last edited:
Back