96 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 130,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, getting a 96 Grand Cherokee with the 318 V8 from a friend. Owners manual specs 10w30. 130,000 miles (209,214 km)

Going to be using it to and from work this winter all over the place, (mostly HWY miles) sometimes pulling a little trailer (I'm a Class C welder doing field work). Should be great for this bad winter they are telling us it will be.

Part of me wants to run Amsoil 0w30 AZO, and convert the whole driveline to synthetic, because I know it's going to get driven far every day and it might just help the MPG a little bit (it's not good with full time 4WD and a V8). It's also a very nice truck, fully loaded, leather interior, and would like to keep it in great shape.

Part of me says, keep this Jeep maintained as cheap as possible (because the mileage isn't that great anyway) and use OET or XL and change it every 10,000 km (6,000 miles)

Any other 5.2 owners here? Notice a big change to synthetic in these trucks on long drives?

You realize, of course, that highway miles at reasonable speeds are the easiest on the oil.

With mostly highway miles and light towing, any synthetic oil should get you 10K OCIs. Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability are good bets.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
You realize, of course, that highway miles at reasonable speeds are the easiest on the oil.

With mostly highway miles and light towing, any synthetic oil should get you 10K OCIs. Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability are good bets.

It won't all be highway, maybe 60% of the time, depending where work needs to be done.

Amsoil XL is a very good oil, there are others like Pennzoil Ultra, Platinum, QSUD on and on that will treat you well. You live in Richmond so you don't have any "severe" cold issues, but you need a good oil that won't get depressed with all those months of rain
wink.gif

I would highly recommend any major brand "syn" that is on sale. Or if you like the Amsoil (which I do too), XL 5w30 is a good choice. AZO I am sure is great but it is pricey. I would get a UOA on whatever you choose to make sure there are no coolant or air filtration issues.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Amsoil XL is a very good oil, there are others like Pennzoil Ultra, Platinum, QSUD on and on that will treat you well. You live in Richmond so you don't have any "severe" cold issues, but you need a good oil that won't get depressed with all those months of rain
wink.gif

I would highly recommend any major brand "syn" that is on sale. Or if you like the Amsoil (which I do too), XL 5w30 is a good choice. AZO I am sure is great but it is pricey. I would get a UOA on whatever you choose to make sure there are no coolant or air filtration issues.

Yup, i'm in Richmond, right next to Wetcouver!

But i'll probably be mostly working in Abbotsford and Chilliwack (Fraser Valley area), where it's much colder and more stormy. Going up North (Alberta) for a few weeks at a time isn't out of the question either.

I'm thinking about just running OET for the 5,000 mile interval, and then UOA it, make sure there's no coolant / filtration issues. Then move up to something with a longer interval.

Brand name synthetics when they go on sale, are usually about $7-10 a quart at Canadian tire / local auto stores. 5L Pennzoil platinum jug at Walmart is $41.97 right now, and there isn't even a Walmart in Richmond! New Westminster is the closest.

With Amsoil selling XL for $6 a quart with PC discount, and I usually do a group order with a few friends, it's cheaper then anything I can buy at a store. Amsoil OE, even cheaper!

Last edited:
maxlife, this engine doesn't particularly like full syn, plus you will want the seal conditioners with this engine at this mileage, no reason to spend the extra cash when a less expensive oil will suit your needs better.

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
Valvoline Maxlife Semi or Full Synthetic or Mobil 1 HM.

Never ever seen Maxlife Full Synthetic in Canada, or in any of my trips down to Washington.

Would love to try it if someone knows where you can get it.

I've seen Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic on Walmart dot com for about $25 a 5 quart Jug, usually with almost free shipping.

Originally Posted By: mechjames

Never ever seen Maxlife Full Synthetic in Canada, or in any of my trips down to Washington.

Last edited:
Hey OC, What do you consider to be reasonable highway speeds?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I've seen Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic on Walmart dot com for about $25 a 5 quart Jug, usually with almost free shipping.

Originally Posted By: mechjames

They don't even have it listed here in Canada at walmart.ca
They don't even ship either

Quote:
maxlife, this engine doesn't particularly like full syn

Just curious, why does it not like full synthetic? My truck has the same engine, and i've been running PP in it for almost 20k now, before that quaker state full synthetic. I haven't experienced any issues with the engine yet.

I'm not accusing you of being wrong, maybe im missing something long term, just wondering how you came to that conclusion.

IMO....if you can't get Maxlife in Full Synthetic, you could use MaxLife HM, Red Jug in 5W-20, in the 5 quart Jug and add a quart of NAPA, full Synthetic 5W-30 for your top off if you need more than 5 quarts.

IMO...if your engine is able to handle 5W-20, you would be better off running that in the "Cold" winter months.

Maybe someone can post the viscosity rating of the 5W-20 vs the 5W-30 in MaxLife Red Bottle HM oil????

Seems that the Valvoline MaxLife HM, Red Bottle, 5w-30 is a heavy oil for the winter months and maybe the 5W-20 would be better suited for winter????

Originally Posted By: dakota99
Quote:
maxlife, this engine doesn't particularly like full syn

Just curious, why does it not like full synthetic? My truck has the same engine, and i've been running PP in it for almost 20k now, before that quaker state full synthetic. I haven't experienced any issues with the engine yet.

I'm not accusing you of being wrong, maybe im missing something long term, just wondering how you came to that conclusion.

i had a 96 gc with the 5.2, what i noticed when i used syn (royal purple) it burn about 1.5 qrts in about 1k mi. also it started leaking like a sieve, so i did some research and found this to be pretty common on this engine, they have problems with the intake plenum gasket leaking, i believe the syn oil may go past this leak more easily causing the oil burn off.

Oh okay i gotcha. I recently fixed my plenum pan with a replacement aluminum one that fixes the leak permanently. Mine does leak a little from the rear main seal, not much though. Maybe a 1/2 quart every six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back