96 Dodge B1500 front wheel bearings & spindle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please share your advice on the following:

I noticed wheel bearing play on my van, ordered bearings & seal and started pulling it apart last night. I noticed that the spindle nut was unlocked and very loose. (Note to self, check the other wheel.)

The spindle now has very tiny ridges or grooves on it. Kind of close to the texture of the fingerprint part of your finger. Common sense tells me that it should be smooth and therefore should be replaced. Can it be serviced? Can anyone predict how long new bearings would last on the existing spindle?

Also, I can't find the part on rockauto (the spindle). Would it be listed under a different name or is it dealer only?

Thanks very much.

Thanks guys. My panic has been postponed. I'll get a nice photo of the knuckle tonight.

Thank you very much indeed.

Well, this is the part where I admit my foolishness. The second that I pulled the new bearing out of the package I realized that I had somehow forgotten about the existence of the inner bearing race. I had been imagining the roller bearings contacting the spindle surface. A classic case of inexperience and overthinking.

Also, the slight roughness of the spindle surface appears to be how it was machined at the factory.

Everything is reassembled and working like a champ. Thanks.

slightly more than finger tight. Tighten it firmly to make sure the bearings are seated in the races then loosen. Tighten just snug and back off about 1/2 a nut flat.
You don't want any noticeable play, not tight either. If any play is spec like on MB it is only 0.1-0.2mm with dial indicator, which is not very noticeable by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back