'96 Corolla 3 Quarts Low on Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
15.gif
Cannot believe it!

Step-Daughter borrowed her Cousin's '96 Corolla for the Summer, being home from College.

I checked the oil when she got it & it was full & clean. She's been gone a lot, working, etc. & our times haven't jived.

Finally around & I heard her engine making noise, so I said pull it in the garage, checked, & nothing on the dipstick!
mad.gif

3 Quarts later, it was finally full!

It rattles some from the engine & sounds like a Water Pump, but it's not, it's coming from the middle of the engine.

So, how much oil does that 4-Banger hold?

Think it'll make it??

Um..no.

At best, your car holds 4 qts. Being down 3 qts is downright dangerous, didn't the idiot light glow? Oh, I forgot, the only thing that youngsters these days respond to is the iPhone glowing.

You didn't mention mileage or other factors, but I'd watch this and do the obvious like tighten the oil filter and drain plug.

Had that happen with daughter's boyfriend. He pulled into the driveway in his Saturn, rattling like mad. He said he was going to have his mechanic look at it- I said start simple and check oil, none on stick. We went to O'Reilly's and picked up 4 quarts of store oil and filter. Changed oil (not much in engine) and ran a quick five mile hiway speed drive, checked oil and it was pitch black. I told him to run a couple hundred miles and bring it back for another change, but they broke up a few days later- don't know how the engine did.

I "think" it's the 1.8L.

When I pulled the dipstick, there was a long length of oil on it... (after her driving 8 miles).

Then, nothing.

EDIT: Idiot light was NOT on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Had that happen with daughter's boyfriend. He pulled into the driveway in his Saturn, rattling like mad. He said he was going to have his mechanic look at it- I said start simple and check oil, none on stick. We went to O'Reilly's and picked up 4 quarts of store oil and filter. Changed oil (not much in engine) and ran a quick five mile hiway speed drive, checked oil and it was pitch black. I told him to run a couple hundred miles and bring it back for another change, but they broke up a few days later- don't know how the engine did.

A guy that wont take care of his car and doesnt even bother to check the oil would have no business dating my daughter.. guy takes care of his car, he might take care of my daughter too.. She's (your daughter) likely better off.

Sounds bad...time for some education for the step daughter! (not her fault, she didn't know)

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Sounds bad...time for some education for the step daughter! (not her fault, she didn't know)

Yup, I schooled her in the garage.
thumbsup2.gif

I would say it's probably ok.

However, I really wish cars had a low oil light.

Not pressure... just simply low oil level.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

Subaru has had them since at least 2010.

Originally Posted By: kmcavin

Good !

I feel like this would be a much more effective warning light to the general public that doesn't pay much attention to their cars.

CHECK the PCV value! A stuck PCV value will cause the vacuum in the engine to suck oil into the exhaust. I had a stuck PCV which practically emptied the whole engine of oil in a 900 mile trip! Had a heck of a time discovering what was the cause- 2 'stealerships" failed!

our 06 Chevy work truck has one

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: abycat

my 88 325is has one, same for my last 86 325es

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: abycat
CELICA_XX said:

my 88 325is has one, same for my last 86 325es

and yes, it's a different light than the low pressure light

CHIME IN DEPT:
S.I.L. had a 1995 Saturn.
It holds 4 quarts of oil.
It needed 3 to get it to the FULL LINE.

After work and the 40 mile drive to a family gathering (long story) I mentioned the low oil.
I sugar coated the issue by saying "Smith women are tough on cars."

The Saturn owner got the joke and giggled.
My other S.I.L. took offense and said, "Don't yell at me."

What a child she is. Kira

Originally Posted By: scion_xb
CHECK the PCV value! A stuck PCV value will cause the vacuum in the engine to suck oil into the exhaust. I had a stuck PCV which practically emptied the whole engine of oil in a 900 mile trip! Had a heck of a time discovering what was the cause- 2 'stealerships" failed!

I absolutely will.

This 19 YO girl is hard on things. She drove her Mom's Camry with the
Emergency Brake on, then my Truck with the Emergency Brake on!
FAIL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back