96 Cherokee Jeep oil filter recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to know which premium oil filter. I noticed few Jeep 6cyl. 4.0L uses Mobil M-301 oversize. Should I get Mobil 1 M-301 oversize Oil filter or K+N or PureOne?? I saw Bob tested oil flow on Mobil 1 M-301 pretty bad low flow. I need your opinion..

Please give me # with oversize premium oil filters list recommendation. I need buy tonight. Let me know thanks!

Fasty,

There are three filters that I use. All are premium. My cars are older chryslers and use the same thread/filter setup that is on your engine.

Baldwin b2-hpg. filters down to 8 micons, rated to flow 7gpm and has synthetic/celluose element. I think this filters is rated at 4psi drop at the 5gpm flow.

Donaldson p169071 or fleetguard lf3487. These are premium synthetic media that filter down to 7 microns nominal with a 14gpm flow at 1 psi drop. Both flow really good per spec and filter quite well.

Baldiwn b2-hpg are about $8.

The donaldson and fleetguard run $10-$15 each and are hard to find but I think are the best out there due to the fully synthetic media. With the emphasis on I think...I am running my first donaldson right now on one of my cars.

All three are well built.

I used to use the mobil m1-301 on all my cars and have switched to one of these three on each car.

Dan

[ August 21, 2003, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Dan4510 ]

Fasty,

Unfortunately, none of the three brands are available at any of the stores you quote.

Donaldson and fleetguard are available at over teh highway truck repair centers. A cummins diesel dealer usually has fleetguard filters.

Baldwin is much the same, they usually are sold at a heavy truck parts house.

All three have places on their websites to find dealers.

www.baldwin.com
www.donaldson.com
www.cumminsdiesel.com for fleetguard

do a search for dealer or distrutors on any one of three.

Dan

Does your filter mount directly to the engine or is it on an adapter with the threads down?

If it's on the adapter I don't think using the larger filter is a good idea.

The oil will drain down even with a drainback valve when mounted with the threads down. The smaller filter will fill up sooner than a large filter.

If it's mounted directly on the engine then I typed a bunch of stuff fer nuthin.

Fasty,
I have a 96 Cherokee and Currently use Purone filters, although I also used Napa Gold, and Fram too.
Some concern over restriction from Pureone and Mobil1, so I'm talking with an engineer from Purolator now.
I can say that I ahven't noticed any problem with any filter I've used, although I haven't done any UOA, so what do I know?

I like the Napa or Car Quest (both the same filter made by Wix). I too use the big Ford size filter on my 4.0 ZJ. this question has been asked many times over. If you do a search you will find lots of part numbers and lots of discussion on this subject.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris 2421:
I use the SuperTech ST8A on both of my Jeeps with 4.0L's and my '02 Dodge truck.Great filters,especially for the price.

That is what I use also, and they are great filters.

I'm using the Motorcraft FL1a which is the PH8a equiv. It's a pure one filter inside and I do like that extra filtration. I was told to use a better filter than the Purolator Premium Plus so I desided, why not. I posted a thread about that in the Car Engine section. It's better for my driving style.

I, too, have an old Chrysler in-house (as well, as -- don't shoot me, an old Ford) in addition to the JEEP I've posted about on this board.

Baldwins' B2-HPG is my first choice at the moment.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000646

(Here is my experience thus far; links included in the thread will give a complete picture of vehicle and usage).

The current run is on REDLINE 10W-30 and a DONALDSON P169071. Expect that UOA will be early November.

I pay $6.75/ea for the Baldwins from a truck supply house, and $15/ea for the Donaldson from STEWART & STEVENSON (a Detroit Diesel dealer)

See the websites of both manufacturers for distributors in your area.

TheTanSedan: Thanks for the info. I want to know Odis's email or phone #. I want buy some Lube Control and Fuel Power. Does he sell in gallon of Fuel Power?

I am forward purchase these FP and LC next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back