'96 A4, valve cover removed, after ca 100k mile with Syntec 5W-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil not darkening is IMO a testament to it's ability to withstand the distance in an otherwise reasonably clean engine. I too will attest to that.

Use an A1 30 weight and see how quickly it darkens...it's not cleaning per se...it's simply becoming used up/worn out quicker.

I refuse to let anything else than A3-rated oil near my baby!
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I refuse to let anything else than A3-rated oil near my baby!
tongue.gif

Mine looks similar too...
What Miles did you have on the oil here?
I notice in the photo that some of the lobes look more shiny.. Is this the flash angle or did you notice this too?

Well, I did change the oil and filter (naturally) a few days after I replaced the valve cover gasket, so the oil must have been around 10k miles old. The cam lobes show slight discoloration in the highly polished surface. Maybe heat caused a color change in the coating? As far as I know, it's normal.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
-*-*. The cam lobes show slight discoloration in the highly polished surface. Maybe heat caused a color change in the coating? As far as I know, it's normal.

Dog-gone-good for ten-k miles on the oil there.
I saw a toyota recently that had parts of the cam not only rusted, One actually looked like it didn't touch anything (not coated in oil)... anyway I think this is how all the cars need to look under there.

QUOTE:"Back in 93 I started using the 5W-50 Castrol Syntec in my then new 93 S-10 4x4 with the 4.3L V-6. I don't think this engine liked this oil very much because by 30,000 miles I had to have all of my valve seals replaced".

-Very common problem on early 4.3L GM engines. Between my dad and I, we had 3 early 4.3l GM automobiles and ALL had valve seal problems. I sold 2 of them and the other, my dads at the time, had to be replaced under warranty. Once replaced, it burned no oil (my son drives it now & has 183k on it, burns no oil).

The photo speaks for itself
smile.gif
.Nice results.
I am thinking about trying the Syntec 5W50 in my 79 Bimmer which calls for 20W50 down to 20.F.

The BMW currently has 10W-40 Syntec in it. I went with that instead of 5W-50 because of the fears stated in this thread. I dont need the 5W here anyway and on a BMW board there have been cars that have lost power and mileage on xW-50 synthetics, mostly M1. 10W-40 probably does not have any VII. A UOA will be posted when it gets changed.

Mori, you are such a liar! We know you solvent-flushed the heII out of that thing with diesel/SeaFoam/Berryman's and GUNK every 500 miles.
nono.gif

wink.gif
tongue.gif

Actually, I only had to hold a bottle of Auto-RX next to my motor, and all the crud from the 5W-50 phase-shifted into subspace.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back