BARIUM

INSOLUBLES

WATER
FLASHPOINT ºF

SUS VIS 210ºF

cSt @ 212ºF 13.1

TBN (WIX LAB) 1.6

All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first

sample. Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory.

Potassium level (possible coolant chemical) abnormal.

TBN below recommended limit. Viscosity within

specified operating range.

Action: Check for source of coolant leak and repair.

Change oil and filter(s) if not already done. Resample

at next recommended interval to monitor and establish

wear trend.

Background: I purchased a Napa oil analysis kit for a good friend and neighbor around Christmas. He taught me just about everything about vehicle maintainence as a kid, so I thought he'd enjoy running a UOA on his 1995 K1500.

Vehicle Specifics: 1995 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 4x4 Z71 with 5.7L Vortec V8 (350), 105,000 miles, 5-7,000 miles/year including about 500-1,000 miles/year of 3,000 lb trailer towing. My neighbor has kept the truck in really nice shape after he purchased it a few years old from a GM executive in Detroit. He used Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 for the last 3 oil changes with 1 or 2 doses of Nextgen Maxlife during the $20 rebate sprees. He added about 1/2 quart of Lucas oil additive in each OCI.

Problem Alert: WIX flagged this sample for coolant. The potassium and sodium levels certainly seemed high to me, but I also read about sodium as an additive. Interestingly, the wear metals appeared low and the water was below 0.05. Maybe the Lucas additive has some potassium.

Questions: What needs to be done for this "abnormal" report? Intake gaskets? Resample? Pressure test?

Yes, your intake manifold gasket is leaking coolant into the oil supply.

Lots of YouTube How-To videos you can watch.

Thanks for the quick replies. Might be a newbie question...but is it possible to have coolant contamination with such low water level (<0.05)?

I would look for coolant loss in the radiator. If there is none then switch to Pennzoil Yellow bottle for 2 OCIs and d a UOA on the second one at 3500 miles. If there is loss in the radiator then you have a gasket issue most likely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RLGDiesel
Thanks for the quick replies. Might be a newbie question...but is it possible to have coolant contamination with such low water level (div>

yes, you can burn off the water.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
Stop using Lucas, it will do more harm than good and its waste.

+1 ditch the lucas

Originally Posted By: Doog
I would look for coolant loss in the radiator. If there is none then switch to Pennzoil Yellow bottle for 2 OCIs and d a UOA on the second one at 3500 miles. If there is loss in the radiator then you have a gasket issue most likely.

+1

And dont add Lucas

If you are not wanting to spend the coin, Barr's Leaks Liquid Copper has fixed two intake manifold gaskets on Chevy's for me. FYI.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
Stop using Lucas, it will do more harm than good and its waste.

+1 ditch the lucas

Agreed.

Ask the owner what part of the engine oil requires being stabilized.
Lucas oil stabilizer is an additiveless,thick oil. All it does is dilute the oils additive package and thickens the oil.
If he wants thicker oil go up a grade,then the oils additive package won't be diluted with the Lucas garbage.
Using Lucas gains nothing.
The only Lucas additive that actually works is the fuel stuff. It contains PIB which is known to improve mileage. Other than it the rest is carp.
And that iron number seems high to me,Even though everything else isn't. It was only a 3000 mile run.
Heck FX had lower iron numbers in his 5.4 at 10000 mile intervals,so I don't think this is a great report in that regard.
The rest looks decent though.

That truck isn't a 1995, or it isn't a Vortec, or it doesn't have the original engine. Chevy didn't put a Vortec in until 1996.

I had a 1996 Silverado Vortec 5.7L
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back