95 Polaris Magnum, what trans oil + Other service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting the other wheeler ready for the season (time is running out!).

Machine is a 1995 Polaris Mangum 425 2x4. The machine hasn't been running for quite a few years.

For Oil: I am going to do one fill of Travelers 15W-40 and a new cheap filter. I will run this around for a few hours. Then it will receive it's typical service fill of Rotella T6 0W-40 and a new Wix filter.

For Coolant: I have a few gallons of 50/50 Fleetguard Compleat ES. Can't see that hurting this thing at all. So that is going in.

For Trans. Oil: This is where I'm stumped. Looking through the service manual, it mentions Polaris Chaincase Lubricant (P/N: 2870464). I can find this lubricant vaguely mentioned on various third-party websites. Does anyone have any recommendations at to what to run in this things trans? On the AMSOIL website, if I key in a 1999 4x4 Magnum, it lists their Synthetic ATV/UTV.

New plug and air filter too will be put on.

WOW I am ready to get out and ride.

For the chain case about anything will work but gear oil. Big no-no. It's a chain driven gear case and the thick gear oil creates too much drag and stretches the silent chain. A big job to replace.
I like running ATF +4 in them. Dodge ATF. They are a big transfer case. You can use 30 HD oil too.
Polaris rips you about $14 a qt for thier AGL oil for gear case oil.
I had over 30 Polaris and had no trouble with ATF or 30 HD in the chain case. Only problems were when the previous owner put gear oil in. You can smell it and everytime I had to replace the silent chain.
Robust gears in there. Save your money and go with ATF +4.

Thank you, will pick up some ATF +4 Thanks again!!

I have one a few years older than yours, and the common recommendation is Amsoil synthetic chain case oil.
I know there were different variants of these Polaris transmissions over the years, some using different combinations of chains and gears.
Amsoil does recommend it as a replacement for the Polaris AGL fluid.
It is not super thick like gear oil.
The viscosity is similar to 10w30 motor oil, but it has extra EP additives.

Ya'all do realize that a 75W-90 gear oil is roughly equivalent viscosity to a 40 grade motor oil, right ?

But I agree with the ATF idea. Not nearly as stinky as gear lube, and the chaincase does not require high-tech lubrication.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back