95 Passat VR6 5spd

Hi everyone! I just spend couple hours reading this forum wich changed totally my opinion about engine and other oils. So after a few ours reading posts and researching the forum I decided to do the following: do an ARX cleaning cycle of the engine and the tranny. An then... I need some advice. I am planing to put M1 0W40 in the engine and SF MTL-R in the tranny, what do you guys think? Forgot the passat has 100k, I live in NJ the car has probably been ran on dino, not sure I bought it with 94k on the clock and it runs great, I just want it to last as long as possible as I am planning on keeping it for awhile.Also I am not into autocrossing or any other extreme things for the engine, plain 50/50 city/highway and I cruise around 75-80 on the parkway. Also one thing remains unclear to me - when adding ARX, do I put in the whole 5.7 of oil quarts my VR6 takes and THEN add the 12 oz ARX or oil+ARX=5.7 quarts?

First of all.....ARX..Good. I would recommend looking up GC for your car. I have a jetta vr6 and use GC. Just read and think about it. You will start to hear voices letting you know what to do.

stick_shift

Thanks Coop0129, I read your posts as I was doing a "VR6" search through the forum. How is your Jetta now, I read about the dear accident, hope you got it fixed already. I also have problems shifting early in the morning when it is cold and am planning to put SF's MTL-R, but I cannot find the capacity of the gearbox, so I don't know how much to order, can anyone help me with that? and about the GC, is 0W30 a good grade vor my VW? If it is, I would definetly put it in as so many peolple are praising it on this forum. I am aslo planing on putting sunoco 15w40 dino oil during the ARX treatment. it is specified as diesel oil but in my owners manual VW lists it as possible.

quote:
Originally posted by stick_shift: and about the GC, is 0W30 a good grade vor my VW? If it is, I would definetly put it in as so many peolple are praising it on this forum.
Yes, I'd try GC (only avail. as a 0W-30) or a 5W-40 (Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1, etc.) in your VR6.

Well, I have my Jetta back now. Thanks for asking. It is just as good as before the accident. I would highly recommend year round use of GC. Even though it is a 0w30, it is very thick and will not break down as fast as the 5w40. You will notice a difference in your vr6. As for the gearbox, right now I am not sure on the capacity, but I can find out and post it when I have an answer. I would also check out www.vwvortex.com. The forums on there have a lot of useful info about your vw.