95 Jeep 4.0 Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I put a new motor in my 95 Jeep Wrangler (4.0) a few years back. However in the last three years it might have 6000 miles on it. Last year I only ended up putting 400 miles on it total.

It is primarily a play toy, and other than some short trips to work every now and then it primarly just sits in the garage. It typically gets fourwheeled a couple times a year, which means a 2-3 hour highway drive, then running all day while on trails. Highway trips mean cruising at 2500-3000 RPM. It is driven hard, it's not daily transportation, and I treat it like a play toy. Only known problem is a slight rear main leak. Oil pressure is quite good since the new motor and I used a high volume oil pump.

I have been using Amsoil Z-Rod 10w30 (WIX filter). My guy said this was great for cams / lifters (flat tappet), as well as storage. It's been in there for a year now, so I figured it's time to change it.

If the Z-Rod is still my best bet for this older style motor, I can order it. I'm just wondering if there is something else that would be just as good that I can go pick up locally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
rotella..
I have one i use pennzoil 10w30 high mileage and i runs very nice. Its a 4.0 it should run good on anything

+1 tappet motors love HDEO

Until a couple of years ago, my DD was an '86 Cherokee. All I used was 'whatever on sale' 10w30. If nothing was on sale, I would sometimes use SuperTech. No problems with the cam and lifters and it still runs great today.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
Until a couple of years ago, my DD was an '86 Cherokee. All I used was 'whatever on sale' 10w30. If nothing was on sale, I would sometimes use SuperTech. No problems with the cam and lifters and it still runs great today.

Was this the GM 2.8 V6? How many miles did you get out of it?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Was this the GM 2.8 V6? How many miles did you get out of it?

No, it has the AMC 2.5 4 cyl. It has 197k miles on it. Still starts right up. I took it off the road when the electronics started going bad.

No need to buy the expensive stuff if you don't want to. Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 has the right stuff for your motor. Its loaded with ZDDP and other goodies!

Im seeing several recommendations for regular dino oils. Can I get away with going a year on the same oil since I drive it so little?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back