Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: '95 Dodge Caravan
Engine: 3.0 V6
Miles on Vehicle: 170,300
Miles on oil: 3176
Oil Type: Valvoline All Climate 10/30 SM
Oil Filter: Purolator Premium Plus
Air Filter: Purolator
Type Driving: Rural,50% short trip,50% hwy.
Lab: Blackstone

Aluminum: 1
Chromium: 1
Iron: 4
Copper: 1
Lead: 50
Tin: 0

Moly: 4
Potassium:0
Silicon: 3
Sodium: 6
Calcium: 1961
Magnesium:7
Phos: 604
Zinc: 716
Elements not listed were 0.
Viscosity: 59.4
Flash: 375
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0
Water: 0
Insoluables: 0.3
TBN: 2.0

I'm not sure why the lead is so high.
No fuel or oil additives used. I pulled one of the heads toward the end of the previous OCI to replace a burned valve. The solution in my parts washer leaves a rust inhibiting residue. Could this residue contain lead? All other wear metals look great so, I'm having a hard time believing bearing wear at this time. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

That is a LOT of lead for only a little over 3,000 miles. You may've spun a particle through a bearing. This isn't engine damaging but it will spike the lead reading for that oil fill. Might wanna consider another UOA at the next oil change to see if the lead is back to a more normal level. What were Blackstone's comments - or aren't we supposed to ask?
wink.gif

Blackstone commented that their was obviously something spiking the lead but, they did not believe that I have a bearing problem. It may well be possible that a particle got into one or more of the cam bearings when I put the head back together (overhead cam). Thanks for your response.

Probably a particle streak through the babbit on one of the bearing shells. Some grit probably dropped down when you did the head work.

I had this happen on a Land Rover v-8 I replaced the bearings on. Made a nice groove about 1mm in width - perfect for holding oil over the crank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back