95 accord - chevron supreme 5w-30 ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm taking over doing oil changes on my mom's 95 Honda Accord - previous it was done by shops. i don't know what the shop that did it for years used but now the shop she took it to the last few times used a generic 10w-30 synthetic blend.

I have a lot of Chevron Supreme 5w-30 left over but I run synthetics now so I'm hoping I can use that in her car. She has about 160k miles if I remember right.

I've read (I think on here) that it's a good oil, but a coworker said it sucks, though I'm not sure where he got that information. I bought it in the first place because it's super cheap at Costco.

If it matters, the shop replaced distributor o-ring and valve cover gaskets last year because it was leaking oil. I don't think it burns or leaks much oil at this point.

I am going to be using a Microgard filter.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
I've read (I think on here) that it's a good oil, but a coworker said it sucks, though I'm not sure where he got that information.

Chevron Supreme is just as decent as any other oil of its type in its price range. Until your coworker can give reasons beyond what he pulls out of his hindquarters, you have nothing to worry about.

I have used this oil in various grades for over 20 years in various high mileage vehicles. The technical data sheets look good and according to PQIA, it has a fair dose of Moly, so I say good plan.

Great, thanks all, I will happily use the 5w-30 oil until I run out and then either buy more of that from Costco or buy the store brand stuff from the auto parts store.

Last edited:
All of Chevron's products are top tier. I wish we had a better availability here.

The best I have is the occasional "sale" at Oriellys for Havoline's dino and synthetic.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
All of Chevron's products are top tier. I wish we had a better availability here.

The best I have is the occasional "sale" at Oriellys for Havoline's dino and synthetic.

I don't think Havoline ProDS has been in stock at the one I work at the entire time I've worked there. OK, that's not true, we got in one case of the 5w-20 once maybe? Funny thing is it's priced cheaper than our house brand full synthetic. If it was in stock I'd totally use it.

Dittos on Chevron oils. The Supreme has always been a top notch oil. That Accord will run nice and quiet with that.

I was once told not to use Citgo oil since it is 'corner garage oil'

I guess when a company sells gasoline (like chevron) they can't possibly make a quality lubricant. lol.

The Accord will be fine with any API oil. We've had nine and counting and they've always seemed fine with whatever I've put in them.
From what I've read over my years here, Chevron oil is as good as anything else.
Therefore, use the Chevron with confidence.
Kudos to you for being concerned about what to use in your mother's old Honda.

Yeah I care about this car because I care about my mom and don't want her to have any issues due to [censored] oil.

I'd use a better filter but the shop that did the maintenance on it for the last decade has been using Microgard filters so I'm sure they will be fine to continue using.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Conventional 5W-30 is more than enough. It's strange that the distributor O-ring leaked. I've never had that issue in my Toyota.

Toyota used a better quality O-ring, maybe?

My brother has a 1997 Civic, so, around the same time period for Honda, and his distributor O-ring is leaking as well. We are getting ready to replace it. A friend has older Hondas and he said he had to replace his. It came up because we were helping and watching him work on his daughter's Honda (2006, I think) Accord. It was leaking oil. Turns out it was the VTEC solenoid gasket. The distributor O-ring was leaking a bit as well. I held it and was feeling itafter we took it out and replaced it. It was not flexible anymore, it was so brittle that it cracked and broke when I tried to flex it. No wonder it was leaking.

Last edited:
distributor o-rings are very common on hondas as far as i know. nothing out of the ordinary for it to go

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Yeah I care about this car because I care about my mom and don't want her to have any issues due to [censored] oil.

I'd use a better filter but the shop that did the maintenance on it for the last decade has been using Microgard filters so I'm sure they will be fine to continue using.

It's very good oil and was a darling here, the least of your worries regarding that car is the SN-rated oil you use in it!

Using Google is your friend here, more info: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1556180

I guess the main concern is that it's consistently the cheapest of the big brand names out there, along with Mobil Super. Some probably think that they're scrimping on quality. I remember a friend who thought that Chevron must make the best gasoline, but refused to use their oil thinking it wasn't as good as Castrol GTX or Pennzoil. I don't think he had much to go on besides price (he was also convinced anything German must be better) and marketing.

However, I tend to think that they don't generally advertise much and keep their costs down that way. Chevron Oronite makes additive packages that are about as advanced as anything Lubrizol, Afton, BASF, or Infineum makes. Chevron has a huge lubricant base oil operation near where I live, and they supply a lot of the big names that others think of as the market leaders. They manage to keep their costs down with everything in-house along with making money off of outside sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back