'94 Powerstroke, 370k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Texaco Ursa Super Plus 15W-40 that I ran for 9770 miles.

Aluminum-3
Chromium-1
Iron-20
Copper-3
Lead-4
Tin-0
Molybdenum-70
Nickel-1
Manganese-0
Silver-0
Titanium-0
Potassium-14
Boron-231
Silicon-6
Sodium-9
Calcium-1375
Magnesium-512
Phosphorus-1137
Zinc-1432
Barium-0

SUS viscosity @ 210 F-72.4
cst viscosity @ 100 C-13.59
Flashpoint in F-420
Fuel %- Antifreeze %-0.0
Water %-0.0
Insolubles %-.2

I did a particle count on this one too

ISO Code (2)-15/11
NAS 1638 Class-0
ISO Code (3)-15/14/12
>=2 micron-454
>=5 micron-168
>=10 micron-46
>=15 micron-18
>=25 micron-4
>=50 micron-0
>=100 micron-0

I do generally have to add a little better than a gallon to make up for oil loss but I'm using some of that Auto-Rx product to try and curb my oil usage. I mostly like to see the low wear trends and low insolubles.

It's my daily driver. Mostly expressway driving. Only occasionally towing or hauling a heavy load. Probably about 25% driving around the farm and short trip running for parts. I do a lot more short trips than I'd like to but can't really be helped. I'd had some issues with antifreeze getting in my oil but found my water pump leaking some and the coolant draining down to over where my pan gasket leaks a little and getting into the crankcase. After I replaced the water pump the antifreeze went back down to 0.

Looks very good, overall.

Solid engine; should last quite a bit longer with good routine care. This is the first year for the PSD, IIRC. Seems to be holding up well.

Don't know too much about the oil, but it sure seems to be doing the job well. It's basically a clone of the Delo, is it not?

10k mile OCI in a PSD, with good wear, and little shearing. What's not to like?

Have you used "dino" oil for the majority of your lube changes? I'm always impressed when someone gets extreme longevity from an engine with "dino" fluids. Not that I don't like synthetics; I do use them for some applications. But I really enjoy seeing when people show that dino's are capable fluids when used correctly.

BTW, are you using the anti-cavitation additive in the coolant for the PSD? With that kind of mileage, I'd suspect so.

To my knowledge, like you said, the Texaco oil is pretty much the same as Delo. Right now I'm using Service Pro 15w-40. Before switching to it I called Blackstone Labs and they said the Service Pro had nearly the same additive package and was otherwise very similar to the Texaco. I use Fleetguard Compleat coolant that comes with the anti-cavitation already mixed into it. I check the levels of it regularly and change out the coolant filter if I need to.

Coolant cavitation is the silent killer of those 7.3L PSD engines. So very few people know or understand the issue. I personally spoke with one of the resident engineers at the Navistar factory in Indy, back in 1996. He emphatically planted in my head the need for the anti-cavitation additive; tests showed a world of difference with and without the product. Yet when you talk with most of the older PSD owners, they have no idea what you'd be speaking of.

The Ford/Motorcraft branded coolant (and a few others) that are made specifically for the PSD, already have the coolant additive in the mix. Ford also sells small bottles of the stuff seperately via the Motorcraft brand. But many people would either not change their coolant often enough, or even if they did, they'd not use the anti-cavitation additive. Those are the trucks to stay away from when buying a used 7.3L PSD.

Given that you're in a pro-actove maintenance program using quality lubes, and keeping an eye on the coolant system, that PSD should last you another 370k miles ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back