94 Kawasaki ZX-11D Delvac 1 5W-40 660 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I discovered I had two old Titan Labs analysis kits laying around, and since I've had these kits for years I wasn't sure if they would be honored if I sent samples in. I took a sample from my ZX with only 660 miles because it wouldn't break my heart if I didn't get a response from Titan. Much to my surprise they did respond, here are the results.

1994 Kawasaki ZX-11D 1052cc
Oil: Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 (with maybe 4 ounces Amsoil 10W-40)
Filter: Kawasaki OEM
miles on oil: 660
miles on unit: 50000

Cr 0
Cu 5
Fe 8
Pb 1
Sn 0
Al 5
Si 1
An 0
Ba 34
B 50
Cd 0
Ca 1728
Mg 505
Mo 19
Ni 0
P 931
Ag 0
Ti 0
Zn 1039

Visc@100C 12.3
Fuel Soot .2%
Water N
Fuel N
Antifreeze N

I took this sample because I was a bit curious if there was anything that would pop out. For maybe 50 miles prior to this sample, when the engine was fully warmed up, and at idle only, I would get a low oil pressure light. The bike is parked, but come springtime I will have my mechanic check it out. For such low miles I would have liked to see wear be lower, but I'm not real worried. Sunruh, how do you like that viscosity after only 660 easy miles?
33.gif

copper and iron look high for 660 miles. what was in it before the delvac?
and your viscosity is an upper 30wt. see the 5w40's dont hold up in the wetsump bikes. a good winter oil, but not for long oci's thats for sure. and if you did add the 10w40, it didnt help any or if it did you were even lower. what is the full capacity?

i take it fuel soot is insoluables? if so, not bad, but again only 660 miles.

Extreme,

The bottle had both of those classifications on it. It had no less than CH-4, CI-4, CI-4+, and CJ-4 printed on the back. In addition to the 4 ounces of Amsoil I mentioned, the motorcycle holds about half a quart of old oil when I do an oil change. I think the oil I was using before the Delvac was Amsoil.

Nic, one of your previous Amsoil MCF 10w-40 samples did indeed show better viscosity retention, even after almost 2000 miles. Either the VIIs used in this half quart of Amsoil are incompatible with those in D1 ESP (is that possible?), or D1 ESP is simply nowhere near shear stable. At 35$ or so a gallon, I would definitely expect a unique VII system.

D1 ESP carries a Twin Disc S364a transmission specification. I have yet to figure out what this one tells about an oil, but so far, Twin Disc has not replied to the email I send them several weeks ago. It would sure be nice if it would ask for stay in grade properties in transmission applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back