94 Kawasaki ZX-11 705 miles Golden Sectro 10W-40 HOLY COW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I was really hoping for a nicer report on the 1994 Kawasaki Zx-11 I bought this spring. First the report, then if you don't have a heart attack, you can read the story afterwards.
code:

Oil Golden Spectro 4 10W-40 semi-syn

Miles on Unit 31499

Miles on Oil 705

Cu 40

Fe 849 (no, that's not a typo!)

Cr 1

Ni 1

Ti 0

V 0

Ag 0

Pb 0 (that's a head scratcher)

Sn 2

Al 12

Si 38

Na 1

K 3

Mo 3

B 7

Ba 6

Ca 3653

Mg 28

Mn 8

P 931

Sb 1

Zn 1127

Visc@100C 12.8

Particle Count

>5u 51841

>10u 4825

>15u 114

>20u 25

>25u 15

>50u 8

>75u 4

>100u 1

Ferrous Debris 26

ISO Code 23/14

Particle Vol 7

Antifr. Neg

Fuel Neg

Water Neg

Terry, if you are reading this, I will be paying for your services as soon as I can.
Here's the story as I know it.
I bought this bike in May, it had 30000 miles on it but had been taken pretty good care of all it's life. The guy I bought it from had not driven it for two, maybe three, years, so it sat in his garage unused. I suspect it was not stored in any specific manner, just parked. The oil that was in the bike for that period was changed before I drove it, but the motor did run for a few minutes during the buying process on that crappy oil. The oil sample above is on oil I had put in the motor right after the purchase (I rolled the bike with the engine NOT running to a shop right next door from the location I bought the bike). It seems likely that due to lack of use and proper storage, the cylinders rusted pretty good. Then with the new oil I drove the bike, and the rings scraped the cylinders clean (I hope!) You bet your butt I'll be doing short change intervals for a while and having Terry read them for me. Butler labs did the analysis for me, thanks to Scot for his time and great memory.
The weird thing is this bike runs beautifully, and I did not rev the engine past 7000 rpm on the oil that got sampled.

Some more things to add.
I asked the shop that did the service what oil they put in, they said Golden SPectro 4, so I bought a clean quart to have analyzed. You can see the results in the VOA section. I'm having doubts that it was Golden Spectro in the UAO above. First, calcium is dramatically different (1420 in the virgin sample) and Moly (37 in the virgin sample) is also wildly different. I know Butler likes to have a virgin sample of whatever the used stuff is to calibrate their machine, if the used stuff wasn't Spectro and they calibrated it to the wrong oil, how much error could there be?
After the supposed Golden Spectro, I put in Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 with the appropriate level of Auto_RX and a cleaning dose of Lube Control. I plan on dumping that oil tomorrow even though it only has about 600 miles on it, and even though my bike seems to really llike it! I plan on running LC and FP for quite some time to make sure everything is happy.

As you pointed out, the iron is probably rust. Cut open the oil filter. You probably won't see undue amounts of metal in it.

quote:

Originally posted by nicrfe1370:

After the supposed Golden Spectro, I put in Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 with the appropriate level of Auto_RX and a cleaning dose of Lube Control. I plan on dumping that oil tomorrow even though it only has about 600 miles on it, and even though my bike seems to really llike it! I plan on running LC and FP for quite some time to make sure everything is happy.

It has been said not to use the LC and Arx together, they are competing chemistries and the Rx will use up its powers neutralizing the LC to an extent. someone can correct me if i mis-remember.

I had a GPZ1100 (same engine as the mighty ZX11, different cams and carbs). Run whatever you want in it. I liked Amsoil the best, but I wouldn't bother with Spectro at all. A good MC oil is just fine, honestly Kawachem is good stuff, and I ran primarily 10W-40 or 15W-40 Mystik. Enjoy the engine, keep it off the redline, and it should last forever.

Oh, and a little Marvel Mystery Oil now and again in the fuel is good for it.

Add an ignition advancer, too. The one for the ZRX1100 I think fits and is much less expensive, the 4 degree one is best.

quote:

Originally posted by Jon:

Oh, and a little Marvel Mystery Oil now and again in the fuel is good for it.

Add an ignition advancer, too. The one for the ZRX1100 I think fits and is much less expensive, the 4 degree one is best.

Thanks Jon for the input. I was considering the ignition advancer. The bike already has a stage 1 jet kit and a Micron 4:1 exhaust, so I think the ignition advance and 93 AKI gas will be a nice combination. As the bike is now, it put 130 hp to the wheel on a dyno last week! I was pretty excited.
I'm still a beat leary about MMO, but I ran Auto-RX and Lube Control, and will probably continue to run a good synthetic with LC added. My bike seemed to really like the Rotella synthetic, and now for my rinse phase of Auto-RX I have Rotella non-synthetic in there.

quote:

Originally posted by Slick17601:
This engine could have roller bearings for the crankshaft and rods hence no lead in the analysis.

This engine does not have roller bearings. It has standard 2 piece rods & automotive "style" bearings.

quote:

Originally posted by nicrfe1370:
Some more things to add.
I asked the shop that did the service what oil they put in, they said Golden SPectro 4, so I bought a clean quart to have analyzed. You can see the results in the VOA section. I'm having doubts that it was Golden Spectro in the UAO above. First, calcium is dramatically different (1420 in the virgin sample) and Moly (37 in the virgin sample) is also wildly different.

In the two to three years that your bike sat unused, rust formed on the engine internals. When you started it up, all that rust started coming off the engine parts and into your oil. That's why you have such a high iron result. Short intervals with a decent conventional oil for a couple of OCIs and you should be free to resume the manufacturer-recommended OCIs.

As for the differences between the UOA and the VOA, I imagine that Golden Spectro has probably changed their add pack formula between the time the original oil was made and put into your bike, and when you bought your oil three years later.

quote:

Originally posted by Blake Sobiloff:
As for the differences between the UOA and the VOA, I imagine that Golden Spectro has probably changed their add pack formula between the time the original oil was made and put into your bike, and when you bought your oil three years later.

The oil that was in the bike while it was stored is not the Golden Spectro that I had analyzed. I figured that oil would be toast, so before I even rode the bike I had it switched out. The Spectro in there was brand new stuff.

Another update:
I have run Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 and Rotella 15W-40 non-synthetic since the above UOA, and I sent samples of each in to Butler. I'm waiting for those to come back, at which point I will post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back