'94 Grand AM Air Filter Box Repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can this air filter box be repaired? If so, what is the best stuff to use? Thanks.

94GrandAMAirFilterBox.jpg
[/img]

94GrandAMAirFilterBoxScrew.jpg

I apologize for the poor quality photo. Blame it on the operator(rarely is it the fault of the camera).

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I'd take a Trip to pic a part.

+1

But if he's stubborn.
grin2.gif

There is a two part plastic repair epoxy type material (it isn;t epoxy) that usually works pretty good.

Clean the bejesus out of the break and surrounding ares. Stick it back together with the two part stuff. Let it cure.

Then spread athin layer of the two part stuff around the broken area and reinforce it with woven glass cloth. The thin stuff would be best. Work the cloth into the two part stuff, then spread a thin layer of the two part stuff over the cloth and let the whole mess cure. Try to lap the cloth about an inch each side of the break where ever you can.

After all that, there is a good chance it will work. but prolly not as good as Chris's solution.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I'd take a Trip to pic a part.

+2

They should be more than willing to part with one of those, they are are all over the place in most yards and I bet usually just end up scrapped.

Also snag another clamp or lightly squeeze the little band on that one w/ pliers to keep the screw part from backing out like that.
wink.gif

Most yards probally crushed the 1994s.Try using JB Weld and most parts stores sell JB Weld including Hardware stores such as HWI and Ace

I have had the same issue. Used a Small C-clamp to hold it together. Worked for about 2 years when I traded the car in.

I like the baling wire idea, get under the bottom of the box with it and wrap the whole thing in a huge circle.

Grease the top and bottom of the air filter for a better seal.

Vise grips?

I'd take a 1/8 x 3/4 CRS piece, and bend it to fit the vertical profile of the air box, attaching it with holes drilled in appropriate places. The bottom part gets bent out and a hole drilled so you can screw it down to the hole in the lower half.

Actually, I was joking. I'd probably get one at a junkyard.

But I do like the c-clamp idea. I might try that if there's room.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Most yards probally crushed the 1994s.Try using JB Weld and most parts stores sell JB Weld including Hardware stores such as HWI and Ace

This air box was probably used on more then just 1994 Grand AMs. I'd recommend going to a junkyard and getting one.

I would think any JY worth its salt would still have at least 1-2 '94-'98 Grand Am/Achieva/Skylarks or '94-'96 Beretta/Corsica on hand, they were too popular of cars to all be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back