94 Ford Ranger Trans oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best Manual Trans ATF oil for a 94 5spd trans. Merc, royal purple. Pennzoil, amsoil? Leaning toward Royal Purple syncro

How many miles on that ole truck? I replace the recommended ATF with a synchromesh type fluid, esp with higher miles and here in warmer climate. I have used mostly Amsoil MTF with good results.

118,000 low miles for 94. Shifting is hard and when it is very cold it is extremely hard to go to 1st, or 2nd.

Changed to Royal Purple. Best thing I ever did to it! Shifts smoooooth as butta now. Should even see an increase in mileage too.

It sounds like there may be a problem to fully releasing the clutch if you are having a problem getting into first or second. First I would check the clutch fluid reservoir (takes brake fluid). You may have an issue with the clutch master or slave cylinder or just air in the clutch hydraulics, which makes it much harder to fully release the clutch to disengage from the flywheel.

If that's not the issue, then someone may have put too heavy a fluid in there that is making it hard to shift when cold. But when you are sitting still at a light, even in cold weather, you should be able to push in the clutch and within a second, just slide easily into first gear. If it tries to grind in this condition, you have a clutch release issue that needs addressed, not something that a different fluid will fix.

OK, that's prolly a Mazda built tranny. They have oiling issues. The fill hole is 1/2" to low to really adequately lube the cluster. If you can, screw in a 45* stainless "street" elbow (pipe fitting) and add a cap/plug to that. Face the elbow up and you will get the additional fluid needed.

If you do not have room to do that, the best way is to overfill from the shifter.

Redline MTF is prolly the best fluid you can get for that tranny. Very smooth and absolutely the best lubricant for that slightly over-stressed tranny
smile.gif

Last edited:
I use RP in mine; I have about 50K on it.

It was never a fast shifting transmission. Give it some time between the gear changes and put in a new(er) oil and all will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back