94 corolla with oil issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
having some new problems with my 94 corolla 1.8L.

Recently rebuilt the bottom end due to excessive oil burning, it got new pistons rings and all bearings, also bored and honed, now i have about 25000km's on the new engine and its heading down the same path already.

-from the beginning, ran organic for 500km then changed it for another 2500km's after that started with the german castrol every 5k not all that impressed was using 1/2 to 3/4 liter between changes, now on the last oci i changed to mobil 1 10w-30 and the oil consumption sucked it started off at the begining ok but at the end between 4000 and 5000 k it went through over a liter of oil now i donno whats going on i just changed it to valvoline maxlife 5w-30 and hoping for the best but im not optimistic....

any ideas why the mobil would do this, mind you the car gets worked fairly hard towing a dirt bike..

I have the exact same car and engine - it's a known issue with the early 4/7AFEs. Mine consumes about a quart per 3,000 miles - which by most accounts is well within spec. By far it consumes the least amount of oil on Maxlife 10w-30. I get a quart per 1500 to 2,000 miles on regular 5w-30 oil. Would never even consider using synthetic in a car worth 2500 to 3000 bucks that gets an oil change every 8,000 miles, but that's just me.

I'd say as long as it runs good and runs OK, call it a day, but I dunno since you rebuilt the engine. My stats are on the original engine with 150,000 miles.

1/2 a litter per oil change is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

you may have fuel dilution from leaking injectors thinning the oil. only way to know is UOA

how old is the PCV valve?

how many miles on the valve seals?

try a 5w40 HDEO and see if your consumption goes down without affecting performance or fuel mileage excessively

stay away from those oil thickening goops like STP

oh tell me about it with the oil burning im a member on a few toyota boards its so common its unusual to find one that doesn't especially 93-95's

the PCV valve is 25,000km old like the engine i checked it thinking the same thing its fine, the valve seals on the other hand are probably like 60k because the head was still within service limits when i did the bottom end.

No way is any "goop" going in the crankcase

I'm nearly 187,000 miles right now with my 7AFE 1.8L which would be over 300km's. I got mine at 139,699 and for the first 15,000 miles or so I was running about 2,000 miles (around 3,000 km's) per each bottle(liter/quart) of oil. I drive my car very hard in town though and it spends it's time at highway speed more than anything else, and I've found highway driving to be the worst for oil economy. I went to Toronto from the Minneapolis, MN area earlier this month, which was about a 2,000 mile round trip(about 3,000 km's) going the speed limit and brought two bottles of oil, I used them both. I'm using Chevron Supreme 5w-30(same stuff as Havoline but I pay 59 cents/qt for it), I've used less oil with 15w50 Mobil 1 synthetic but I lost too much fuel economy for it to be worth keeping things thick and it's cheaper to run the dino. I got 43 MPG on the Toronto trip, the EPA estimates think it gets 34, I must still have strong compression.

Right now I'm 14,000 miles into my OCI and I've put in 15 quarts. I'll be swapping it at 15,000 miles with a sample, I'm sure there will be plenty of people freaking out over the length of the interval and/or consumption. The consumption seems to gets worse the further into the oil change interval you go.

I don't see any issues with the consumption though, no oil on the ground and the spark plugs came out deposit free the last time I pulled them. I'll have to swap them out and take pictures when I change the oil.

My advice, at 1-1.5 liters per 5,000km's just feed it and adjust your oil change time based on the consumption and keep the RPM's below 3,000 under acceleration and minimize compression braking and things usually are a little bit better. ...I don't limit myself anymore because I'm not very concerned about the consumption but when I used to things were a bit better.

When I first got my 95 Corolla, I put Mobil 1 in it and it used more of it then I was comfortable with. Changed to Maxlife and the used dropped A LOT. It now uses maybe 1/2-3/4 quart per 5000 miles and I'm totally fine with that

7AFE has a known oil consumption problem that 4AFE doesn't have, 1 qt every 2k is typical. If I were you I wouldn't change it out only at 15k, because the more you burn the more blow by is getting into the crankcase. I'd still change it every 5k with a 10W30 and be done with it.

It must be very disappointing to rebuild an engine and have it burn oil. Especially when modern engines don't do that much anymore.
The reality is that you will have to live with it, and add a bit of oil here and there. But so what?
Maybe talk to your rebuilder and get his viewpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back