'94-97 4-cyl Accord owners come in please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do your cars' engines ping under light throttle?

Mine pings under light throttle, 25%-35%, but it goes away under moderate throttle. It pings a bit under WOT, high rpm conditions, but no worse than it does at 25% throttle. I usually run Chevron 87 octane with FP. It pings just as bad with 76 or Shell gas, with or without FP.

A compression test 2 weeks ago showed compression in all cylinders at about 170. Spec for the engine is 178 or 179 (I don't have the manual in front of me).

I read in either the owner's manual or one of my maintenance manuals that light pinging under light accelaration is normal, it does it for emissions purposes or something. I don't really know what kind of pinging is light though. If somebody else's car does it, that will make me feel better, so please let me know if I'm alone in this or not.
smile.gif

P.S. The car has 148,000 miles on it. I'd much rather figure out if this pinging is normal, or what the problem is, than run a higher grade of gas too.

That pinging could be an indication of blockage in your EGR valve. I've had that problem, although I have never owned a Honda, and was told it was a blocked EGR.

quote:

Originally posted by ediamiam:
That pinging could be an indication of blockage in your EGR valve. I've had that problem, although I have never owned a Honda, and was told it was a blocked EGR.

That's what I've been thinking. Everybody wants too much money to check it out though! Is cleaning the EGR valve something someone without many mechanical skills could do?

Don't know about how to clean it. when I had the problem, and it was reported to me as the problem, it was cleaned by the professionals, with the problem going away. It could be as simple as running a solvent through it, or lube control, or whatever. Anyone out there who has done it themselves successfully?

[ May 12, 2005, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: ediamiam ]

I have an article off the internet that shows exactly how to do this. I can email it but I don't have the link for it. Palut let me know if you want it.

quote:

Originally posted by ediamiam:
Don't know about how to clean it. when I had the problem, and it was reported to me as the problem, it was cleaned by the professionals, with the problem going away. It could be as simple as running a solvent through it, or lube control, or whatever. Anyone out there who has done it themselves successfully?

What did they end up charging you to clean it, if you don't mind my asking?

Sorry don't remember, 14-15 years back on a carbureted '82 Toyota Celica. It was part of the process of having the car smog checked. They ran the check, it failed, then cleared the EGR, passed. Afterwards they told me what they did, but didn't have to replace any parts, or do a general tuneup. They said it would take care of the pinging, and it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back